icon

Writer needs help with sound laws

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
EzekialPhoenix 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2003 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with what's been said regarding noice laws implemented because people are annoyed by loud music.  There is a time and place, which respectful people know.  I will bring up another side to ths issue because I think it is important to note.  I would agree with imposing these laws for one reason, and one reason only.  If you are driving on a highway in the middle of the day with your music turned way up, it can be difficult if not impossible to hear the sirens of a police, ambulance, or fire truck behind you.  I will even admit to falling victim to this problem.  I have been driving, watching people pulling over to the side of the road, thinking "what are they doing?"  Then I hit the mute button and hear the sirens behind me.  Check the rear view, and voila, an ambulance is back there.  I have never had one directly behind me waiting for me to move, but it could happen.  So, for that reason I could understand laws against loud music in cars.  Just something to consider before the members of this forum take to the streets with torches.
I be tossin and flossin, my style is awesome. Causin' more family feuds than Richard Dawson.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2003 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

The police do not have a quota for tickets, they do not get paid any more if they write more, all writing more tickets does is create mountains of paperwork that actually keeps the officer off of the streets, ever said where's a cop when you need one? He's probably doing your paperwork. Now someone replied that they listen to their music loud only on the highway and are just waiting to have an ambulance or that come up behind them one day and not be noticed, no offense dude but if you drive with this position, then you should not be driving, you are a hazard to the other drivers. Now after I explain why you'll probably have a different opinion, so why? Because unless you can drive using "the force" our #1 reason for being able to drive is being able to see. Being able to hear a siren does not make you a better or safer driver, you should always be checking your mirrors every 15  - 30 seconds. How do you know that some semi that has lost it's brakes and has no air horn (I have seen this personally) isn't heading straight for your rear bumper? Ever wondered how a deaf person can drive? What about people who wear hearing protection while they drive ,ever driven a really loud diesel? Just a different side of the coin for your reply and I hope that you'll see the point here, I am not calling you a hazard as was implied above, just opening other peoples eyes to how they really drive.

Now the police have a job to do, they are there to enforce the laws. If they law states that there can be no loud noise and they catch you, you are guilty. The officer may not agree with the law and I know that you definitely don't but he has a job to do and he will do it. Yes there is a drastic difference for the officer between a domestic violence call and a ticket for excessive noise, but nonetheless if you break the law and he sees you break the law, you will be given a ticket, maybe not right now, maybe in 2 weeks because he was on the way to a domestic disturbance call, and maybe he'll also send the guy a ticket that failed to pull to the right and stop when he approached your vehicle from behind. (you didn't hear him - and don't dispute this, you will lose). The officer's job is no different than the job that we must do every day, how long do you think you would have a job if you did not do what your employer wants to do, no difference for the officer.

There is a time and a place to play a audio system loud, it is most certainly not in an area that will annoy people on a daily basis, be it at work or at home or in your neighbourhood where everyone can see you, follow you home and steal your stereo. This happens way more often than you think. I as a business owner of two car audio stores happen to agree that there should be some kind of laws against noise pollution, be it a loud Harley, construction site work or a big car audio system, but to enact a blanket law is exactly the wrong way to go, one size does not fit all.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2003 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden, it's not just what's behind you that you need to pay attention to, but all around you. If you can't hear what's going on around you, you're less likely to be aware of any impending hazard or incident ahead of time (and I'm not saying completely unaware). I would much rather have "heard" the sirens or the semi coming and gotten off the road or out of the way than having to swerve or cut someone off at the last second to get out of the way. You are more likely to be paying attention to the road and the other drivers around you when the music is turned down, not the other way around. That's kinda like someone who told me on another forum that smoking pot makes him a safer and more alert driver. haha that's so funny every time I think about that one. Anyway, you should be paying attention to the road at all times, both by seeing what is going on around you and what you hear going on around you. One or the other just won't cut it.

There should be sound ordinances for loud music, machinery, etc. But it should be handled on a case-by-case issue, not just a blanket law covering everything.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
suebob 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2003 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the lively discussion. I spoke to a woman this morning that said she was ready to get a gun and kill people because of their low-frequency booming driving her to distraction.

Then I talked to a guy who owns a car audio store who says almost everyone who comes in says they don't want to be like those people who boom down the street, but then when they hear a system with subwoofers, always want one, because they love the sound quality - he can't sell them without!

This topic is interesting!

Sue

nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2003 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
Isn't driving all about distractions and how well you deal with them. I mean it's going to be different for everyone. Personally sometimes when your driving friends around and they have a habbit of turning up your system I just tend to tune out and focus on what's around me. Me being partly deaf anyways i don't usually rely on my hearing all that much.
But yes of course for some ppl having that extra sense as an early warning will help them out greatly. For other's it my not have much affect at all. As we have all seen the very ignorant drivers who just don't have a clue when it comes to getting out of the way of an emergency vechile or anything and just sit there.
I agree with forbidden there is always a time and a place for booming. I'm usually very cautious around residential areas especially before i'm about to park somewhere, making your my system isn't of noticable volume. We have the same blanket law over here and just never seems to be enforced, only ever for your system being at a volume you seem reasonable but the police don't see it that way!
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2003 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  

Anything is a distraction. 

What they need to do is have automative driving.  all automatic, then you can whatever the heck you want to and then the cops can go and catch the murders and rapist.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2003 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
Paradigm, I agree with you, you do need to pay attention to everything around you, all of the time, I also agree that for those of us that are not deaf, we should use our sense of hearing while we drive, not just to listen to music, but to listen for any emergency vehicles or driving hazards. You are in control of the vehicle, it is up to you to drive responsibly. Enjoy your audio, not annoy everyone else with it.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2003 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
just something from my head, i think that the laws should be checking persons talking on their cellphones while driving more than they should be worried about the soudn systems. I know for a fact that many women,  not saying all, and some men, arent the best of drivers and when you add cell phones to the equation its just a disaster waiting to happen. i know that some states have passed laws against it, but from experience, my mother,  i know that people can be really stupid when it comes to driving. To me the real issue isn't the distractions that occur when a person is driving but the person whom is behind the wheel that has to deal with them. I really think that a persons ability to deal with problems should be better checked during the "driving tests" I know many people are failing their driving test daily and can go the next day and take it again, to me this policy puts more dangerous drivers in dangerous situations than does persons talking on cell phones, playing music loud, etc. But as far as limiting the sound systems, why do that when persons with loud exhausts, bikes, cars, tires for that fact, can go to the MVA and get a permit, or grandfather for many of their "illegal" parts.
Quad L Handyman services
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2003 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
Had to get in on this one and put in my 2 cents.
1) I disagree with the Harley comment made earlier. I ride a Harley, and have a "boom car". You can get a noise violation ticket on a bike (regardless of the manufacturer) just as quickly as you can for excessive noise from a stereo.
2) I agree with having limits in place for noise ordinances, but disagree with the way they are enforced. I live in Florida, and all the cop needs to do is say "they heard it from x amount of feet away". This is complete BS (as pointed out earlier). I put a lot of time into designing custom systems, and am still a responsible driver. The least the lawmakers could do is make it mandatory to ticket based on a measured sound level (like using a radar gun). Why don't they do this? Easiest answer is because any set measurable noise level could be produced by a number of things besides someones stereo.
3) I, like many of my friends here have stated, enjoy listening to my creations while driving. If done responsibly it should not be a problem. Am I damaging my hearing...absolutely. But that's my choice. Am I damaging the hearing of the guy in the car next to me while in motion, absolutely not. If you turn the bass down while stopped, it is not only considerate but will help give us a better rep.
4) Damn the man. This is America, and we enjoy the liberty and freedom that America has. Everyone does things that annoy other people, but that's life. Get over it. I've fought for my country and my freedoms (and yours for that matter). There's a time and place for everything (even us recklooses know this!)
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2003 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
just want to add some stuff here.  as far as what you said forbidden, police DO have a certain quota of tickets to write.  i have relatives that are cops and have friends that have relative that are cops who have told us this.  i think the noise ordinacne laws should ONLY be put into effect under 2 circumstances.  one is if its after like 10pm and going thru a neighborhood.  doing this would be inconsiderate and stupid and will piss people off.  and two, if someone is sittin at a red light just knockin...pissin everyone at the redlight off.  because that is also very rude.  but if i am driving down the road in the afternoon....there is nothing wrong with it...its more of a fundraiser for the city is really what it is.  i have said many times that the police department has become one of the most successful businesses in the U.S.  and i say it as a very sarcastic statement but i refer to things like the noise tickets.  and yeah like someone else stated...ever drove a big diesel truck.  if not then ill explain it to you...theyre loud and you cant hear sh!t in them.   but yeah this wirting of noise tickets when im cruising in the afternoon is just ridiculous.  i knew as soon as i saw this topic that this post was gonna be on fire!!  oh yeah ketel22....yeah u got pulled over for a stock radio on two stock speakers...ive seen that happen before.  so now not only are we breaking the law by upgrading our sound system, but now its illegal to ask the dealership to include a radio and speakers in our new car that we are designing?  well anyway...this is no disrespect to the police..they have a tough job and i respect it...but this sound law and the tickets gotta go!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic