icon

clear taillights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
I tell you what I did today for you, because I was so curious as well.
I have sent out a personal e-mail and a phone call to the Toyota division, and also to the dealership in our area for the answers.
I will let you know what they come up with. As it stands, based on the police officers I have personally spoken with, along with reading over the *General* federal guidelines that were given to me.
That vehicle has only one thing going for it.
1. It is DOT / SAE manufactured, and is OEM from the factory.
There are several levels of the DOT which must be met, and one of them must have been met.
I will let you know what they have to say.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
hey thanks a lot.  let me know what they say.
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
Neither the dealership nor the maker will provide any proof as to why they comply to the DOT / SAE.
I have spoken to another 3 police officers tonight at the length, and all state that they will continue to hand out *Fix It Tickets* untill told otherwise, or where the light assemblies meet the high way traffic act.
I did not have much to say, after listening to them, to be honest.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  
hey thanks a lot. 
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 06, 2004 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
The light assemblies must have an SAE or DOT logo on them to be legal.  The manufacturers are supposed to test the equipment and ensure they meet or exceed the standards set by the FMVSS 108.  The federal government may at random test these assemblies to ensure they comply.  This is why so many APC tails have been recalled in the past- they didn't meet up to federal standards, mostly because of the lack of reflectors.  You already have the rear/side facing red reflectors which are required.  The kicker here is there are no red filament bulbs that comply with federal regulations, I believe since red is not defined within these documents (no frequency wavelength).  The red color is usually formed from the lense.  Lexus/Toyota has found a loop hold in this by using LEDs, which are not a filament bulb.  More info on this can be found at  http://fmvss108.tripod.com.  I hope this helps.  Another place with great info on this automotive lighting stuff is http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/.  You'll find a link to a forum in there:  http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/216460.  Another good one is: http://forums.lighting.philips.com/viewforum.php?f=5.
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2004 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

the thing is, I use red LED bulbs behind the clear lense.  its not just a red bulb, it is LEDs.

p.s.  thanks for the links, they helped out

geepherder 
Posted: January 06, 2004 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
If you're referring to the LED bulbs you can pick up at AutoZone, those are much worse than the red colored filament bulbs, and they're not approved for public use either.  Just look on the package- you won't see any SAE/DOT markings, probably some disclaimer like "for off road use only".  LEDs are meant to be used in clusters with their own voltage/current regulating circuit- not just wired in series with a resistor like those "bulbs" have.  You're actually better off, if you use one or the other, to use the red coated bulbs rather than the LED bulbs.  Just my two cents.
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
why do u say that they are worse than regular bulbs.  i have a friend who has the regular red bulbs, and they faded to a light amber almost yellow color in a week.  mine have stayed bright red for about a year.  how are they worse than regular bulbs.
geepherder 
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  

They have no where near the brightness level, and the dispersion angle is pathetic.  Like at the traffic lights with LEDs- you can't always tell what color the light is depending on what angle you are in relation to them.

silversi17 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2004 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  

I had clear lenses on my '96 prelude, and got pulled over a few times, and each time, I stepped out of the car, walked the trooper over the tailights, and had him shine his light right on the DOT/SAE logo, then every time, except once, the trooper told me to have a nice night, then walked back to his car.  The one time, I got a corrections notice, the next morning I pulled the tailight out, brought it in  to the town hall, showed the people there the logo, then they dropped the ticket.  I have the same problem now with the altezza's on my '99 Prelude.  What's funny to me is that I never get tickets for my super white blinkers (knock on wood) yet they still pull me over for the tailights.  Becareful with trying to prove cops wrong though, that pisses them off, I've walked away with a few exhaust violation tickets, and some window graphic tickets that way.

Just remembe this:  If it's got the logo, you've got no problem.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic