icon

Horn Honk only when alarm is triggered?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cctyler 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2003 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  

My Code Alarm Tw-1 has the siren and horn hooked up. IThe shop connected a relay to the parking light flash. The problem is, my acura has a wimpy "duck like" sound to the horn and its annoying because when the siren arms, disarms, starts, it chirps, the lights flash, the horn honks.

Is there anyway to just have the horn honk when the system is tripped and blaring? IF so, this could ideally be used for my peizo's as well and an extra siren, because I dont need these to chirp when I arm the system or start the car.

So I need to somehow have a relay sense a constant output to the siren and give off a flash for the horn, but a constant for the peizo's.....

Any ideas, Thanks

Tyer

ck auto 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2003 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
hi if you  hook up a signal light flasher this will delay the siren but you won't get a constant output i used this to hook up air horns to my alarm definetly attention getting not like everyone elses.
good luck
kirk
cctyler 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2003 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
I can see the light flasher on the air horns being a good idea. But what do I use so that the flasher can sense that the alarm is triggered and not just 'chirping' through arm/disarm?
ck auto 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2003 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
hi it takes a while for the flasher to charge. you won't get any chirps for at least 2 chirps my alarm was 3 chirps before airhorns would sound.
good luck
kirk
cctyler 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2003 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
So I only need a light flasher? Or a relay from the siren output to the light flasher? How many amps can the a normal flasher handle? Thanks.
ck auto 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2003 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

hi you would have to check but i think they can esily take 10 amps it would say on the flasher or the pacakge.

good luck
kirk
HamiltonAudio 
Silver - Posts: 278
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  

an interesting quandry....we have ground outputs, and trigger outputs....but not an output when triggered only.  What about using the siren output, splitting it with diodes, so you have essentially two outputs.  One goes to the siren per normal...the other to be run through a simple time delay circuit of say 3 seconds.  This way, the horn/air horns don't get powered up until there is a signal on the siren lead for 3 continuous seconds....simple chirping for arm/disarm wouldn't be long enough, so they wouldn't power up.

I like the airhorn idea, only on trigger...very attention getting!!

b

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
Here's what I can come up with..Have a relay like so:
85 - To the (-) ground out when armed wire
86 - To the (+) door trigger wire
30 - To ground
87 - To the horn wire in the car
This way the only way your horn will sound is if the alarm is armed AND the door is open. (Alarm armed + door open = the alarm is going off/being triggered, and so is the horn). Only drawback to this is that the horn would not be pulsing or anything, it would just be on steady. Would be easy to add another relay to the setup if you'd like the horn to pulse instead of be on steady. Also if your unit has a horn output then you could connect this to pin 30 on the relay instead of ground and it would probably pulse or do whatever the unit has that output doing. I haven't done many TW1's and definately not any lately so I really don't remember what all outputs it has..Hope that helps,
Mike
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2003 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
I have a setup on my car that powers 4 sirens, AND honks the factory horn and it only honks the horn when triggered. I accomplished thid with two relays and a two prong common turn signal flasher (which can be bought from autozone for under 2$) But I've since stepped up to an electronic flasher(about 8$)this results in a more consistent and even honking of the horn. If yer interested, i can explain how to wire them up. I think is what you need, only drawback is: that yer piezos will still chirp during arm, disarm, and remote start. But the horn will only honk during full trigger. It wont even start honking until the siren have been wailing for at least 3 seconds.
cctyler 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2003 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  

CutDog504, please explain how to wire this up. Why would the pieoz's chirp during arm/disarm? Its not a big deal, but is there a way around it? I have an armed output, what if I hooked it up like this,

85 from armed output

86 to flashing parking lights (diode isolated)
87 to ground
30 to horn output

The question is, does the armed output turn off before the pulse of the lights during arm/disarm.

I still want to see how you did yours though. Im not great with relays, but this stuff is interesting, so please do tell!!!

Thanks.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic