the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Building a Quality Stereo System, Suggestions?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wild thing 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
reliable cd-r playback with the ability to decode MP3s and display ID3 tags would be nice. Something of which a Mcintosh, nor a Nakamichi will do :-(
mark241 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
The Regular kenwood deck may not be the greatest, but the kenwood excelon deck is very nice, I have 2 the kdc - x859 and x869. There displays aren't even that nice, I've nicer displays for even cheaper
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
I have the deh-p6500 pioneer, other than the low rca output voltage- 2 volts- its workin really nice.  plus that lil screen entertains the passengers.lol
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
wild thing 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2003 at 3:48 AM / IP Logged  
But then with Kenwood and Pioneer it seems as though you get back on par with Sony. I wish I could just borrow a bunch of headunits and compare their outputs on the scope.
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2003 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged  
Kenwood and Pioneer, are better than sony.  I would go with the Kenwood X969.  Offers internal crossover and is a MP3 and WMA player.  You can also add screensavers if you want something to entertain your passengers with out adding a screen.
mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2003 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
HOLD UP... lol ... pioneer, schmemwood? Get an alpine deck, mine cost me just below 500$ and it plays mp3's and it has a great display, doesn't look half bad, and i has a fully adjustible 5 band eq , with adjustible band freq, width, and level. SOUNDS GREAT. just go alpine or eclipse if you dont relly want to do that relly high end stuff
everything stolen :(
Workin on a new system :)
Building a Quality Stereo System, Suggestions? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Peace in the middle east
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2003 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
Stay away from sony!!!! They really don't make the quality products that the othe guys would make Pioneer, alpine, and kenwood make way better products than sony.   You would even have better sound quality using a jensen or clarion. I'm in the mode now where every component has to "match". So if you were to ask me, I would go with an eclipse mp3 head unit (model 8053), eclipse amps, eclipse components, with eclipse subs. But if you don't want to use eclipse speakers and amps. I would use an eclipse head unit, with jl audio amps/subs and MB Quart components.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Building a Quality Stereo System, Suggestions? - Page 2 -- posted image.
dcgc 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2003 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
All this hype about head units is oh so true. Take a ride to the stereo shop listen and look at all the HU's. Consider your budget. Get what you think suits you. I've used kenwood HU's for 15 years the only problem I had with them is the inside lights on a cassette HU went out. Pioneer CD HU sucked. Alpine has good quality. Have yet to experience Eclipse but would probably be my next purchase.
2003 Silverado Ext. cab
Kenwood mp922
Kenwood kgc6042a EQ
JL Audio xr650-csi
MB Quart PSC 213
JL Audio 300/4
pair of JL Audio 12w6v2
JL Audio 1000/1
wild thing 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2003 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
Money, not a question. If Mcintoshes decoded MP3s and displayed ID3 tags, I'd already have it. As it stands... I don't believe all the knock on Sonys. My current deck is a Sony, and it's driving a pair of alumapro subs and Infinity Kappa perefects all the way around. I'm VERY satisfied with the sq of it. However (like I said, money is not of question) I'm stepping it up a notch. I'm going with the best of the best components, the best of the best amplifiers, the best of the best electricals (by the way, the equalizer on the deck is absolutely unnecessary). This is intended to be as good as it gets maintaining factory location and stage in a car. With all the conflicting opionions (except everyone seems to agree Sony sucks) I've decided to go with a Sony. I've managed to scrounge up an older model CDX C90 new in box that I will use. It doesn't decode MP3s onboard, but Sony makes MP3 decoding changers that will display track titles. Other than that, no frills, no fancy displays (still very elagent and stylish), no onboard amp... it's perfect.
thanks for everyones advice, sorry I didn't use any of it :-(
audiosolutions 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2003 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  

The bottom line is that Sony, Kenwood, Panasonic, most Pioneer, and all the other My First Stereo brands give you a neat package with alot of "features". The real test is the quality of those features. If the head unit boasts its array of 'presets' like rock, pop, or classical then the manufacturer assumes you know nothing about serious audio. I bought a top-o-the-line Sony not long ago to give it a try. I sounded OK, but it started taking up to 30 seconds just to change MP3 tracks and then stopped playing discs altogether. My wife has a Sony (not for much longer though) and the jog wheel just does whatever it wants to. You pretty much need a miracle just to adjust anything on it. My point is this: you can buy all the muscle in the world, but it is little use if the brain can't properly control it. I own an Alpine that has real features, like the ones I use in the pro audio buisness every day. Spend the money, you won't regret it

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic