Problem with Dimming Dome Light

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
justlearnin007 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

Hello Everyone!

Wanted to start off by saying what a GREAT forum you have here - already I have learned so much by going through old posts!!

Quick Question. . ..

Just purchased a new car ('04 Ford Focus) with a Dealer Installed Alarm ( UltraGuard )

while I am left unimpressed with this alarm - the MAJOR issue I have with it is the "Silent Arming" Feature.

This feature allows you to arm the car without a chirp from the siren - pretty simple.

The problem is that the alarm system is wired into the dome light which has an auto dimming feature of 15 or so seconds so the car alarm actually thinks that a door is open for the 15 seconds while the light dims and chirps 3 warning beeps because it thinks a zone is unarmed.

Any thoughts or suggestions?  -- otherwise this is going back to the dealer to get removed.

Would really appreciate the response time of those who know - we were all newbies once!

Thanks in Advance - JustLeanin007

draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
you can see if the programing can be changed to last door arming.....AKA...passive arming....
by doing that, the alarm will arm after the dome light goes out....
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
justlearnin007 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply.

YES - THe alarm does have passive arming and WILL work properly with the dome light feature.

Problem is with the silent mode :

The alarm will not arm SILENTLY because it thinks that a zone is still open and chirps 3 times as a safety reminder feature -- it is not that the alarm does not function properly - it does - it is just that it has a fail-safe to alert the driver of an open door durring silent arming and it chirps 3 times.

Any Takers for the solution?

HamiltonAudio 
Silver - Posts: 278
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  

what about an arming delay?  the Omega product I have has a programmable delay of 3 and 30 seconds....this means that the alarm goes into "armed condition" either 3 or 30 seconds after you arm with the remote.  setting to 30 seconds would cause the system to wait for the domelights to go out....

wonder if your ultraguard has the same feature?

b

justlearnin007 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  

Hmmm. . .

Those are thoughts to ponder on.

I was NOT looking for a passive arming alarm.  In fact - I would choose NOT to have the alarm arm automatically.

What I want - is an alarm that I can arm from the remote that will arm silently - dome light lit or not.  If I wait 15 seconds for the dome light to dim before hitting the remote everything works fine. . . I just have to wait the 15 seconds and that is not cool.

Lemme Know - JustLearnin007

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2003 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
"Any Takers for the solution?"
Normally all you have to do is take it back and have them hook up the door triggers instead of the domelight wire. The domelight wire (BLACK/ blue) that they are using for the alarm trigger will read the domelight delay until the domelight goes out as you described. The door triggers themselves will read until all the doors are closed. As long as the doors themselves are all closed when you hit arm, it will arm up and won't care whether the domelight is on or not. Surprisingly even DEI is saying to use the domelight wire for that car..That's odd for them they usually always have you diode isolating all the door triggers..Good luck,
Mike
justlearnin007 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2003 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  

NowYaKnow,

Thanks for the tips. . .now this is the direction that I am wanting to head!

Any tips on finding the door tirgger wires instead of the domelight?

Thanks in Advance,

~  Another Mike ~

justlearnin007 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2003 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
HamiltonAudio wrote:

what about an arming delay?  the Omega product I have has a programmable delay of 3 and 30 seconds....this means that the alarm goes into "armed condition" either 3 or 30 seconds after you arm with the remote. 

Just spoke to the alarm installer and they told me that they are expecting a unit that has this capability in 4 months or so.  However in the mean time - they have no answer.

Now - I was told . . .dont know if it is correct or not (( actually I am hoping that someone here can confirm this or not )) that :

The only way to connect this alarm in this car is through the dome light wire since " the door triggers are not on a ground/non-ground circuit "  This doesnt make sense to me.  The car DOES have an indicator that lights up which tells you if there is a door open (( including the trunk which remains unprotected through the dome light )) however I dont know if this is only a circuit that is functional with total power to the car's computer and what not.

They have agreed to make some improvements to the system - ie - add trunk protection through a pin switch. . .however . . .this is something that I am now very interested in and would like to find the solution for.

I'm trying to get my hands on a wiring diagram for the 2004 Ford Focus.  I have searched the archives and found info on the '02 and '03 ( both different ) and was wondering if anyone has the updated info for the '04 Focus.

TNX Much Everyone !! ~ Michael ~

1kewlexpo 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2003 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

The car has a GEM which will require a relay and diode combination in order to prevent any false alarm on the door trigger. It works the same way as the expeditions with the factory keyless entry. 

I had this same problem with my expedition and other new ford vehicles with factory keyless entry and auto dome dimming.

John

xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2003 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
You could possibly setup the negative output while armed to disable the door trigger to the alarm, have it on a monostable timer to restore the connection in 30 seconds or so. It would make the alarm ignore that trigger for the duration of the timer... Just a thought.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic