icon

Game Console vs. DVD player

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
NaughtyLMnky 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2003 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  

I am not really into games but I know that with the ps2 you can use it as a dvd player.  I was wondering if there were any other systems that you can use the same way.  I have a little one that it might occupy on long trips and I wanted dvd in my setup.

I know you will need a dc to ac inverter but that's about it to install them. 

I was also wondering if hitting bumps will make these systems freeze because they are made to sit still. 

I was just wondering what all of the detail on these setups were. 

AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2003 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  

my suggestion would be to purchase a dvd player that is meant to be used in a vehicle, you wont need a power invertor, and its meant to withstand the bumps of the road.  you can get a dvd player for pretty cheap (some as low as $100)  just shop around the web to find some.  here are some good websites i would recommend

www.sonicelectrnix.com,   www.purecaraudio.com , www.carstereoexpo.com 

just a few that i know.

NaughtyLMnky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2003 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  

If its not made to handle the shock of everyday driving I guess it could turn into being more of a problem than a blessing.

AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2003 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
exactly, i would really suggest you purchase a DVD player that is meant for mobile video.
Nocturnal 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2003 at 4:20 AM / IP Logged  

Also, if you want to use the game console for movies, you have the issue of the remote being infra red and where would you put the unit for it to see the remote? 

zeiden 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2003 at 5:18 AM / IP Logged  

There are a lot of problems in going with a video game console as your main automotive DVD player. (Below I mention 3 of them)

1) Space. - The two video game consoles that play DVD are pretty big.

2) Power source. - You need a pretty bulky device to change your cars battery power to the correct current.

3) Video game consoles don't have "last played" memory. This allows you to continue watching the DVD where you left off after the power has been shut off.  (Very important for automotive applications)

ggrizzle 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2003 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  

I have a PS2 hooked up and in my glove box. I have had no problems. I like it better than a DVD because I just ran all the wires in from the back and shut the glove box door. No one can see it and you can work the controls from the regular PS2 controller. It very rarely skips and when I go on trips the kids play games and will ride for hours without complaining. The only draw back is that it teands to get hot when it is on for a long time all closed up in the glove box, I intend to mount a fan in the top of the glove box to help move the air.

Peace!!!

g.g.
NaughtyLMnky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2003 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
Hey ggrizzle.  What kind of vehicle did you put it in?  I am doing this install in a dodge dakota and the suspension is pretty stiff.  These guys got me thinking about that.  I think it would probably skip during regular driving.
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2003 at 2:49 AM / IP Logged  
i also have a PS2 in my glove box, and i have a 1976 chevy silverado, with a 6" lift on 35" tires, and the ride is bumpy as hell!!  ive never been in a bumpier ride than mine,  and my ps2 never skips.  so i wouldnt worry about it one bit.
NaughtyLMnky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2003 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds good.  Thanks for the input.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic