icon

Etronics - Buy Installation Online?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SiDogg 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
So I'm about to buy an Ultra Start 4500M from Etronics.com and they say for $179 extra, I can get this "Install Card" (installcard.com) and take it to any of several shops in my area and they will install it for me.
It says that the $179 includes Remote Start w/Keyless, so I'm assuming that is the whole shibang (alarm and remote start)?
For those installers out there, does this sound about right? I have a manual transmission and the US 4500M is for manual transmission cars, but would I be charged extra? (I read something about on manuals they have some kind of IR signal for the shifter to see what gear it's in to prevent against a start in-gear?? Would that be included in this cost?
Also, I have a 2003 Nissan Maxima, and one website I stumbled across had a "Transponder Database" and it said that I needed some $50 transponder bypass kit to bypass the factory transponder so the remote start would work? I guess it requires a spare key or something? Do I really need that????
Thanks in advance!
SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
One more question: The 4500M says it has a Defroster output. This turns on my Defroster to clear up my windows, right? Is this also usually covered in the install of this kind of alarm or would it cost extra? How do I know if it will work with my Nissan's A/C unit? It's a digital climate control thingy...
MaxV6 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2003 at 6:16 AM / IP Logged  
SiDogg wrote:
Also, I have a 2003 Nissan Maxima, and one website I stumbled across had a "Transponder Database" and it said that I needed some $50 transponder bypass kit to bypass the factory transponder so the remote start would work? I guess it requires a spare key or something? Do I really need that????
Thanks in advance!
Yes, you do need the bypass with a key in it. I used the DEI 555U and it worked fine.
MaxV6 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2003 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged  
SiDogg wrote:
One more question: The 4500M says it has a Defroster output. This turns on my Defroster to clear up my windows, right? Is this also usually covered in the install of this kind of alarm or would it cost extra? How do I know if it will work with my Nissan's A/C unit? It's a digital climate control thingy...
The rear window defroster (if that's what you're referring to) has a separate switch from your A/C unit, so yes it could be hooked up to that.
It could also be hooked up to your front windshield defroster at the same time (with relay) as it too has a separate switch.
In total you can have all three going at the same time.
(Rear/Front defrosters with one output and the standard heater Climate Control, which can also be mode set to defrost the windshield or heat the cabin). The latter should be part of the basic install of a Remote start unit.
SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2003 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
So does the $179 I mentioned sound like it is a reasonable installation fee for alarm/remote start?
I keep hearing about people paying $500+ for their setup + install.. eek!
SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2003 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
Does any transponder work? I found a universal one for Omega, will that work with an Ultra Start Remote Start?
wiretapper 
Copper - Posts: 166
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2003 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
As long as it's the one you put the key inside to do, yes.  It should have some kind of ring to go around the keyswitch. If that's the type, it'll work. You DO need one of your keys to do it though, no matter what.
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2003 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so you are going to spend $189 plus shipping, $179 for basic installation. The maxima is far from basic. Here is a list of all possible extras:
Parts and/or Labor charges will apply to the following:
Transponder bypass (cost of installation, the module itself and the cost of an extra key that needs to be programmed by the dealer)
2nd Starter wire
Keyless entry (since it is in the door)
Autolamp turn off (for truning your lights off after runtime has expired)
Rear Defrost if you want it
Any and all alarm features:
     Siren
     Door Triggers
     and any other sensor you want
Trunk Release (You also need to disarm the trunk release alarm trigger, so this would be a lot extra)
Window roll up and down (if you have this as factory feature)
I bet i could go on, but all these extras are going to cost big bucks. Especially since most shops that work like this charge $25 dollars for adding a single additional relay.
Even if you just go with the minimum required wires, you are still going tro be pushing $500 easily.
if you are going to buy online you might as well install it yourself. And if you dont feel up to it, you should just go to a reputable shop and see what it get it all from them. Do you not have a factory alarm? you could skip the alarm idea if you do have one.
Another idea would be to call one of the shops that would be doing the install you bought online and see what the total would be for that car. they would be able to break down the features and how much they would cost.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2003 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
Holy moly!!!!!!   $500!!!!!!
My civic had siren, trunk, hood, door, and single-stage shock, battery backup siren all for like $250 including installation.
What does the $179 cover then? It sounds like it doesn't include anything but mounting the damn thing under my dash! I could do that!
I am pretty good with audio/electronics; however, I am scared to do my alarm purely for the reason I don't 100% trust I will do it right. Seeing as how I've never done it before, I will most likely end up either a) messing up my car's normal electronics or b) screwing up the installation causing it to randomly turn itself on or off or accidentally lock me out of the car, or worse, accidentally remote start when I didn't want it to (in gear) and cause even more damages..
What can I do to bring the cost down? I could care less about the defrost and auto-lamp turn-off (people always bother me saying I left my lights on anyways), but those two alone won't save me much..
Why do I need '2nd Starter wire'? What does it do?
The transponder loop has to go around the ignitio? That sounds like a pain!!
wiretapper 
Copper - Posts: 166
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2003 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
Knowing that company, the $179 probably covers a roll of duct tape and some staples. Etronics - Buy Installation Online? -- posted image.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic