Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MaxV6 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

SiDogg wrote:
Holy moly!!!!!!   $500!!!!!!
What can I do to bring the cost down? I could care less about the defrost and auto-lamp turn-off (people always bother me saying I left my lights on anyways), but those two alone won't save me much..
Why do I need '2nd Starter wire'? What does it do?
The transponder loop has to go around the ignitio? That sounds like a pain!!

I went through it this summer and made a decision to install the 2way lcd alarm/remote start myself.

I have a 2002 model and I did a lot of research before I even removed one screw on the car.

The 2nd starter wire is for cold starts according to documentations which is connected with a relay.

The ring only becomes a pain if the product itself is defective. You don't know if you're not connecting it right or is it defective unless you have access to a spare bypass.

And if you have a manual gear box and your RS unit is not built for manuals, you have to connect to the neutral safety switch of the car to avoid accidental starting.

As Jrilla said, the maxima is far from basic.

SiDogg 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
Crap, that blows. How does the neutral safety switch work? Is that the only way to protect my 6-speed from the Remote Start accidentally starting?
SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
(I might end up doing this myself and need to know this stuff - does it come with instructions for the 2nd starter or transponder or trunk release?)
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
Do it. I was only referring to this as not being a basic install since the costs would be great to have someone do it for you. But is very possible and you should do it yourself. If you dont think you can do it then you cant, but if you do, then you can.
Download the install manual here if you haven't already:
4500 Install manual
Just familiarize yourself with the install and ask all the questions you have.
Do a lot of prep work and will save you the back breaking time under the dash.
email me and I can send you some info and pictures if you want
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
I can do that (prep). I spent 6 months prepping for my first fiberglass job. It went well I must say. Etronics - Buy Installation Online? - Page 2 -- posted image.
SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, so I just read the instructions... All I can say is F INSTALLING IT MYSELF!! :D
No way, that is soooooo confusing and sounds like so much work. Where do I tap into all those systems (park light, door trigger, trunk, starter, ignition, etc...)??
It sounded like some of the instructions were repeating, too, adding to the confusion.
So how does the 4500M know I'm not in gear? It didn't seem to have an input to detect if it is in gear or not... That scares me.. I saw the clutch bypass, but that doesn't help. I thought the M models could tell if you're in gear and, if so, not start the car... ??
SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone in NorCal who wants to start the bidding on my install, go ahead and reply now. :) Do I hear $175?? Anyone?? Etronics - Buy Installation Online? - Page 2 -- posted image.
SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2003 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
Now my friend is talking me out of remote start, saying his friend who works at an alarm shop has a manual and remote start and after a couple months he finally messed up and hit the button and his car lurched forward and smashed into another car, causing $2000 worth of damage, and now he never uses it because it's "an uneasy feeling hitting that button"...
Hmmm, so how much simpler would it be w/out remote start, w/out the thermometer thing, w/out the defroster, and w/out the transponder? Sounds like a LOT, huh? :-)
So just the hood/trunk pins, trunk release, keyless, siren, park/dome lights, what else is there?
Where do I tap into the park and door and dome light systems at??
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2003 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
You hook up the door trigger and the ebrake. Then when you pull up to park, you set the ebrake, then press the brake twice and turn the key off (engine will stay running) get out, shut the door, and the vehicle will shut off. You are now in reservation mode. If the ebrake is released or the door opened then the starter will exit reservation mode. If you forget something in your car, just start the car before opening the doors. I am sure that friend of yours had a homemade netral safety feature instead of a unit that was designed for manual transmissions.
Lke I said before, email me if you want info and pictures of connections. my email address is in my profile.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
SiDogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2003 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
How do you wire into the existing systems though? Do I just use wire taps to tap into wires? How do I find the OEM wires I need to tap into? (Where do I look) ?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic