icon

Sound dampener or no?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nbahoopstar 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2003 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
I am installing Focal 6.5 V1 drivers in the doors of my 03' Highlander( as part of component sets) and I am wondering if I should put some type of sound dampener behind the speaker in the door frames? Or should I put put some type of enclosure around the back of the drover? Please let me know eithe way and what type of material is recommended. I have two 10" subs handling bass on a separate amp.
Loud Subwoofers only, do not make a quality car audio system, especially when they are worth more than your "car"
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2003 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  

Usually, enclosures aren't needed for door-mounted speakers.  If you want to get one of those XTC foam baffles to keep water away from the back of the speaker, that might not be a bad idea.  As for the dampening, it couldn't hurt, but you could probably wait and see if you're getting any rattling before you start putting in dampening material.

Scott Gardner

eargasm 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2003 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  

focal actually make a sound-absorbing and deadening product. comes in a box of 8 pieces. they are self adhesive, just peel the backing off and stick to the inside of your door skin behind the speakers. they claim it makes a huge difference. i have it and i have great sound, but i don't know what the sound would have been like without. they are about 8" x 3" strips.

2001 Ford Fairmont
Alpine DVD, screen,
5.1surround processor,
5ch Class-T amp, TV tuner
and centre channel.
Focal 3way Utopia splits.
VDO navigation. Stinger cap.
Soundstream Exact subs.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2003 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
Use the strips and add sound deadener like brown bread. A speaker makes the same amount of "force" on the inward stroke as it does the outward stroke. On the inward stroke the pressure wave from the speaker will hit the door causing it to resonate, the speaker itself will also rattle against the mount, in both cases this is a loss of energy that has been transformed from acoustical to mechanical. Generally speaking the lower the frequency the speaker plays, the more power it needs to move, if the speaker is having it's output robbed by the panels vibrating and resonating, all that bass energy is not being producedin the from of sound. A good sounding stereo is due in part to a good quiet vehicle. Using XTC speaker baffles can make a speaker sound either better or worse. Here where we usually have more rain and snow than sun, a speaker baffle is a given in lots of vehicle, not for sound quality but to keep the speakers dry. I happen to like an enclosure behind a midbass driver, it can really help improve the sq in the front end, just what we want.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
nbahoopstar 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2003 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
Won't the brown bread mold? Or does "brown bread" mean something else that I am not awre of. Please let me know and thanks for the help so far.
Loud Subwoofers only, do not make a quality car audio system, especially when they are worth more than your "car"
nbahoopstar 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2003 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
Nevermind about the bread thing. Should I place it over the back of the speaker over the vent openings or place it all over the doowhere the door panel goes? I was thinking that it should be placed behind the speaker in the opening against the inside of the actual door to reflect the bass or something. Ugh! Please let me know
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2003 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
Brown bread works real good, like all this type of materials, heat it up with a heat gun first, it is much easier to apply, wear gloves and make sure the mounting surface is clean.
forbidden 
Posted: December 26, 2003 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
Do not adhere the brown bread to the speaker! It is designed to add mass to the metal body panels and structural members of doors etc. to keep them from resonating.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic