icon

Amp Bridge

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
raico 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  

hey guys im quite new to this scene but already quite enthusiastic and motivated.

I bought a 2 channel (40w x 2) amp to power my sub. it isnt much but will have to do for the moment. The sub is a 200mm Sub (nothing special, 40w Rms, 150w max) and want to join the 2 channels on my amp to combine the power and have more blast for the sub. The amp has 4ohm's per channel. Could i just wire it all like a series circuit to bridge it?

Also, when i tested the system it sounded a bit tinny i.e. there was treble comin through with the bass and it sounded crap mixed together not quite 100% subwoofer. I added a crossover but it didnt do much. I have 2 crossovers so could i add them to the whole ensemble? Also would it hold the 150W max of each of the crossovers?

I know it might make the whole thing a bit complicated but im on a real tight budget at the mo. I would appreciate any help. Ive gotten from knowing nothing about car stereo to installing my own equipment thanks to reading these helpfull forums and install guides. Thanx!!!!

jakita 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  
Is your sub in an enclosure?  Only use one crossover on a single channel.  What Brand/Model equipment do you have?  Do you own a multimeter?  I can help you but I need this information.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2003 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
is there a crossover on the amp at all or a lowpass/high pass switch?   what are the name brands on this equipment and what is the sub enclosed in?
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
raico 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  

phew, thanx for the reply.

The sub is on infinate baffle mounted on my rear deck. it has a diameter of 200mm.

The two crossovers are separate componetns to the amp, also no brand name.The crossoverers dont have any switches at all, no adjustments unfortunately, very basic. on the package it said something about 5,000Hz.

Like i said, the amp is a cheap one with no brand name but is half decent.  It has 2 different input types- high level and low level. It worked best on the low (RCA) as the outputs on the source unit were RCA.

I can hook it all up no probs i just wanna bridge the amp to get more power. I have a multimeter aswell and figured out the basics how to use it. The other problem is that i can hear voice and treble n stuff from the sub and the one crossover didnt do much. Adding another to the single channel wont help then..

Alien509 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
connect both the + from each channel to the + terminal on the speaker, both - on the amp to the - terminal on the speaker. Usually crossovers have a little knob or screw or somthing to filter to a frequency, the lower the hertz the more bass and lesser treble.
Alien509 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
oh and make sure the crossover is hooked before the amp (IE.) The output from the head unit goes into the crossover then the output from the crossover goes to the amps input.
raico 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  

cool, thanx alien509

The crossover solution sounds good as i was hooking it up the other way round. ie putting thecrossover between AMP output and the SUB.

The wiring for the bridging you suggested, wouldnt that be parallel? would it also work in a series type circuit. Im saying this cos i think in the AMP manual it said something about dont connect the (-) terminals from both channels together. i might be wrong...

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
i was questioning something, if you crossover said 5000hz, your crossover frequency might be way to hihg. look at building your own crossover that goes right before the sub terminals, also look into building a box no name subs are not the type of sub to use for an infinate baffle
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
hobbes6981 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
I would suggest getting a low pass sub crossover. Is your sub a single voice coil? 4 ohm? Is your amp bridgeable? If so, you could bridge the amp down to one channel and still maintain the 4 ohm impedance. In the manual for the amp, it should tell you if its bridgeable and which terminal of each channel needs to be hooked up for bridged mode. Usually bridging increases the power by anywhere from 1.5x to 2x the sum of the two channels (rms). I would also suggest putting this sub into a small sealed enclosure. There are only a small percentage of subs able to run in an infinite baffle setup.
Alien509 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2003 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
The amp should be  ok if you bridge it like I said.... and as for the crossover being that high that he mention, he probably only saw the highest frequency the crossover will filter to.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic