icon

98 Grand Prix Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gtzquad4 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  

Hi.  I'm in the middle of installing a remote start in my 98 Grand Prix and picked up a couple of diodes for the door trigger wires from Radio Shack.  All they had were Zener 1 Watt in 5.1, 6.2 and 9V so I picked up a set of each as tomorrow is New Years and nothing will be open  :(

Please tell me that these will work...

Do I even need to connect the passenger door switch??  If not, then I assume only the driver's door will be protected by the factory alarm....correct? 

Next tell me that I have the correct wires, Tan (C1)(Driver Door Ajar Switch Input (GND)) and Dk. Blue (C3) Passenger Door Ajar Switch Input (GND).

Thanks Very Much,

Tony

ck auto 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
hi is your car a standard or auto
good luck
kirk
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  

no dont use a zener, When a zener is reversed biased it will breakdown at the rated voltage. Meaning that it will conduct in reverse as long as the reverse voltage across it is equal to its rated breakdown.

In other words if you use a 9V zener it will behave the same in forward bias mode, it will have about .7V across it. If 12V is applied backwards it will have 9V across it, not 12.... You could try to use the 9V zener, i would not recommend it but it may work for you in a pinch until you get another

gtzquad4 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  

ck auto wrote:
hi is your car a standard or auto

Hi Kirk, it's an automatic, as are all Grand Prixs from 97+, not sure about the previous body design.

Tony

ck auto 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  

hi if your just putting rs in you have no need for the door triggers to be hooked up

good luck
kirk
bradleonard 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
As long as we are talking about diodes, what about 12 volt Zenar Diodes?
werd
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
Well I wouldnt want a 12V zener for this purpose either, the problem is zener diodes act differently that what you want, they are made to breakdown at a certain reverse bias voltage, you dont want that to happen. If you use a zener that is higher that your supply will ever go it will work the same, but you are using it as a standard diode so in practice it will never act as a zener...
gtzquad4 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
ck auto wrote:

hi if your just putting rs in you have no need for the door triggers to be hooked up

Good answer, don't know what I was thinking. 98 Grand Prix Remote Start -- posted image. First RS install. 

Ok then, here's what I need to confirm for wires and colors on my 98 Grand Prix GT.

Wires from the RS are (-) Unlock, (-) Lock, (-) Disarm, (-) Arm.  Can someone tell me what wires these go to, I'm pretty sure they're all located at the BCM in drivers kick panel.

Here's what I have figured...(-) Unlock goes to (-) White    (-) Lock goes to (-) L. Blue   However, I'm not sure where to route the wires from the RS for Factory Arm (-) and Factory Disarm (-).  Do these two go to the same connections as well???

Thanks,

Tony

gtzquad4 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
gtzquad4 wrote:
ck auto wrote:

Good answer, don't know what I was thinking. 98 Grand Prix Remote Start -- posted image. First RS install. 

Ok then, here's what I need to confirm for wires and colors on my 98 Grand Prix GT.

Wires from the RS are (-) Unlock, (-) Lock, (-) Disarm, (-) Arm.  Can someone tell me what wires these go to, I'm pretty sure they're all located at the BCM in drivers kick panel.

Here's what I have figured...(-) Unlock goes to (-) White    (-) Lock goes to (-) L. Blue   However, I'm not sure where to route the wires from the RS for Factory Arm (-) and Factory Disarm (-).  Do these two go to the same connections as well???

Thanks,

Tony

K, think I got the factory arm/disarm figured, haven't tried it yet though.

Arm is the same as lock at BCM (-) white and Disarm is also at BCM (-) ORG/BLK...

Correct?

gtzquad4 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2003 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
gtzquad4 wrote:
gtzquad4 wrote:
ck auto wrote:

Thanks,

Tony

K, think I got the factory arm/disarm figured, haven't tried it yet though.

Arm is the same as lock at BCM (-) white and Disarm is also at BCM (-) ORG/BLK...

Correct?

EDIT: Lock at BCM is L.Blue not White.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic