icon

Manual 2002 Eclipse, Remote Starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lukeforce 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
I recently had the Viper 791xv installed in my 5-speed 2002 eclipse.  The installer said he cant hook up the remote starter cause the car is manual.  I know that you can still install it, but to be careful NOT to start it in gear.  I asked him if I can still have the starter, so i could install,  he said its in the car, just not hooked up.   How can i hook this bad boy up.  Also, I did so research on manual remote starters and there are a few that is on the market that say that you can use them in manual trans.   They come w/ some sort of "Neutral Safty Switch", which prevents the car from starting if its in gear.  Can i buy one of these and install it....?
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
The units designed for manual transmissions require you to enter "ready mode" (different units call it it different names) in order for the remote start feature is available. The lasest way of doing this is to pull the e-brake, leave the car in neutral, turn the car off (it will stay running), then get out and shut the door and the car will automatically shut off. So to install this, you need to grab the door trigger and the ebrake wires. Pulling the e-brake turns on the RS, and the door trigger opening then closing turns it off. if you open the door the unit exits "ready mode". This is how the unit can be sure you are in neutral. Some vehicles have a factory neutral safety switch wire you can use for added security, but it is not necessary and your vehicle may not have one anyway.
You will also need to bypass the passive anti-theft device. If you have 2 working keys you can get the PKU-MIT here which does not require the use of a key (just need 2 to program it):
PKU-MIT
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
lukeforce 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  

So how do you think they installed the viper r/s?  htink it is esy to "connect" the r/s?

and is the immobolizer what i need as the "safty switch"?

jrilla 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
Adding the remote start part of the Viper would consist of tapping into the accessory wire, the tach wire, hooking up the starter output, clutch bypass and immobilizer bypass (which is NOT the neutral safety thing). The immobilizer is a transponder based anti-theft device which consists of a coded key and a coil around the key cylinder which reads the key. If a plain key is inserted into the ignition it wont start, so a remote starter wont work either unless you install the bypass module which simulates the key being in the ignition. You need to install a seperate coil around the key cylinder then program the module using 2 working keys. You can also buy a universal bypass which requires an additional programmed key, but getting another key can be expensive from mitsubishi (between $50 and $90, depending on where you get it).
HOWEVER, You should not install the remote start features because that unit is not designed for manual transmission vehicles and there are no built in safety features to assure that the vehicle is in neutral.
If you want a remote starter then you should buy a unit designed for manual transmission vehicles. You would then need to do a complete install.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
lukeforce 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2004 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
if i bought a separate remote starter made for manual, could i still make my original remote "start it" or do i have to have 2 remotes, one for alarm, one for R/S?
jrilla 
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
Yes you just need to make sure the unit has an external input wire that you will have to trigger with multiple pulses typically from the lock wire. This way you just press lock three times and it will start. So you just hook that trigger up to the lock wire from the viper.
Its not ideal but it will work.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
lukeforce 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
the viper 791xv has a button made for the Remote starter-that came w/ it, made for automatics..     can i use that particular button???

lukeforce wrote:
the viper 791xv has a button made for the Remote starter-that came w/ it, made for automatics.. can i use that particular button???

Also, what would you recommend for the manual Remote Starter, what type, brand, model?

jrilla 
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, you may be able to use the button for start on the transmitter assuming a few things. First, there is a negative starter output on your unit (according to the manual). I have never installed any dei products but I think they use external relays, so this negative starter output should be available. I see there is an onboard starter kill, and I dont know if it is just a kill relay or if it doubles as the starter output for the RS features. If it is also the starter output, then you either can't use the start button, or you need to see if the negative output is seperate and can still be used (I know this is confusing, but since I dont have the unit in front of me, I cant say right now. I can try to read the manual a little more to understand it, but it would be easier if I knew the system.
Anyway, lets say you can use the negative starter output, then when you press start on your remote it will trun on the ignition outputs which may or may not be hooked up (doesnt matter), then it will output a pulse on the starter output wire. This will be the pulse that is required to trigger the starter unit. You wont be able to shut it down this way though. Well actually if you press that start button again, it will shut down the viper, and then if you press start a third time it should shut down the slave unit.
I need to look into which unit will work for you. The 2 units I work with may not be ideal. The ones that you could buy retail online wont work for sure since the trigger input doubles as the e brake input, and the other has an external trigger that requires a special connector since it is designed for an external timer unit. But it does have a trigger and the unit is top quality. I just need to see if the trigger will work. I will look to see if other units will work. This is not an ideal situation though, especially since many units designed for manual tranmission vehicles might not work via the external trigger wire.
Anyway, let me get back to you. email me if you have any more questions for me, otherwise you may want to post more questions here and hopefully a DEI guy can answer better.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
lukeforce 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
Ultra Start 4500M Alarm/ Starter (Manual Transmission) is one i found   not sure if it would work,  what do you think?
Ultra Start 2500M Remote Starter (Manual Transmission) is the starter only. will this work w/ my Viper 791xv Responder remote?
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
first of all, a rs on manual trans and automatic is install exactly the same way. the only thing that need to be added to the mt is the clutch bypass, that is it.
the clutch will have two wires (hondas and nissans, dont know bout mitsu), all it does is completing the ciruit.
all there is, is a switch, youre not technically bypassing the clutch, its the button right on infront of the clutch pedal that need to be bypass.
heres what need to be done for rs: look at the mitsu ignition harness for color listed.
*******black relay pack- mitsu ign harness******
1.cut the starter wire- STARTER|BLACK/ red
2.purple-STARTER|BLACK/ red, starter side
3.green-STARTER|BLACK/ red, keyside
4.pink-IGNITION|dk. green
5.orange-ACCESSORY|blue/red
6.pink/white-SECOND ACCESSORY|blue/black
after hookin up all the main wire to ign, starter, acc, go to page 16 on ur install manual and look at the H3 5pin connector.
1.gray-hood switch, do this last, this come with a switch that can be install under the hood to prevent rs when service on car.
2.brown- tap to BRAKE WIRE|GREEN/ orange|+|brake pedal switch|
3.violet/white-tap to... Go to the test connector inside the fusebox under the hood, it is a T shaped plug. Tach is the terminal on the top left of the T, the wire under the terminal is white or WHITE/ red.
4.BLACK/ wht- since no NSSwitch, this need to see ground or it wont rs.
almost done....go to the primary harness onpage 14
1.WHITE/ blue needs to be ground.
NOW-programming the tach- turn on the car w/ ur key and locate ur valet button. w/in 10 sec after ign on, press and hold down the valet until the led light up then let go. if not light up u have wrong tach wire.
lastly, this is the testing to see if you connect them right and well...i suggest taking ur time and twist them tightly and tape them well. "measure twice cut once."
step on the clutch,place the key inside the key cylinder(****do not turn the key***)
if this is sucessful, it should be!!!! then post ur result and others or i will help you on the clutch bypass and the immobilizer bypass.
have fun and take ur time, no need to rush. get a DMMeter to test all the wires. read teh manual to see how to test wires, starter, acc, tach, igns.......its all in there.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic