icon

what brand is a good DMM

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  

I currently have DMM, im not sure on the name, but its a cheap 25.00 meter, I am looking to buy a new, the screen just goes blank, I put new batteries in it still, goes blank , so i am looking for a new one, and im just wanting to know what brand y'all use, model #, or suggest to get

thanks

hotrodelectric 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
There's several good brands out there- Fluke, Beckman Instruments, Simpson. You can now go to Sears and buy one of the more basic Flukes for about 120.00.
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
Get a fluke DMM, or a bluepoint.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
stinger makes a good one too, im not sure how much it costs though
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
i really like flukes but cheap ones will usually work fine if you dont do much work with one, autoranging is extreamly nice...
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
Regardless of what brand you decide to go with. I would ask you to consider this purchase as an investment, such as with any quality tool you will be using day in, and day out.
1. Does it have all the features you require?
2. Warranty, does the unit have the standard one year warranty, or does it offer a lifetime warranty in which it also includes recalibration without costs to the user?
3. Is the unit drop tested to with stand normal abuse without the *toy* like reliability which is prevalent in this market place?
4. Is the unit CAT III certified for DCV, and CAT IV for ACV which will protect you.
5. Accuracy: Is the unit accurate in all aspects of voltage, resistance, current, and time scaling. Which will enable you to be informed of the facts.
6. Human ergonomics: Does the unit function and operate with ease, without button pushing like a cheap arcade game?
All of these things you will find in a Fluke meter. The most important aspect is the customer service, after the sale. And from personal experiece with Fluke tech support and warranty dept, they are number one.
No BS, no grey . . .
Just my thoughts
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .   
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
As mentioned here a decent Fluke would be a great choice depending on how much you plan to use it. Auto-ranging would definately be a big plus. Cheap meters will work for the basics, but can be very frustrating to use.
I bought a meter @ radio shack maybe 7 - 8 years ago and I loved it. I threw that thing around and abused it more than you can imagine and it still worked great everytime. Just recently it died on me so I picked up another radio shack meter. I guess times have changed because the new one was a total POS and I bought a sears one a few days later..Not too bad for a cheap meter, but not the greatest. Now I'm just waiting for sears to get in/order the fluke I want. Good luck,
Mike
whiteshack 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
i have a flute model #73
mecp certified installer
whiteshack 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
flute model#73
mecp certified installer
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2004 at 2:42 AM / IP Logged  

what do Y'all think about buying one at sears, they have a few I seen fluke model #73 also i looked at Fluke 111 and fluke 112 DMMs out of those the 112 said it has a  IEC CAT III 600V safety rating, which TEKEN spoke of is this rare in meters because if i am correct the model #73 did not have this and niether did the 111....

anymore suggestions

ps those where in my price range about 150 bucks

thanks again you guys

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic