2002 Silverado Security Light stays On

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rod2envy 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2004 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I have a 2002 chevy silverado and last year I installed a Prestige Alarm/ Remote starter system, I used the DEI 555L bypass for the Passlock II system and its been working fine so far. My problem is 2 months ago I notice that when I use the remote starter it works but the SECUITY light comes on the message center on the instrument cluster, and that when I insert the key to drive my truck the car works fine but the light wont go away untill I turn the truck off.

I made the mistake of trashing the DEI 555L box and instructions so I dont know what to do and I called Best Buy where I bought the module but they said they cant help me, does anyone knows how I can get rid of that light problem and does anyone has a copy of the instructions that could possibly scan it and email me a copy?

I would really appreciated it, I barely have time to mess with my truck by being in the Air Force and being going away every other month. Thanks again for reading and trying to help me.

Sincerely

Damian

"You are either good or not good"
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2004 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
Here's a link to DEI's 555L installation guide:
http://www.directed.com/guides/manuals/ig/accessories/N555L_7-02B.pdf
Although honestly if it's been working fine for a year not sure how much luck your going to have getting it going again. Aside from a loose connection it may be a bad module. You could try unplugging the bypass and plugging it back in then start the car with the key, let it run for about 15 seconds then try the remote start..See if it relearns..All these bypass modules are great but none of them seem to be able to withstand the test of time. I think companies are knocking the things out too quick to really test them good. Not to mention they can cause some very strange things to try and troubleshoot. I pulled out a 555L not too long ago that did the same thing yours is doing..Just replaced it with another brand bypass and haven't heard back since. For passlock 2 I've used the following:
Design Tech 20402 - Last Resort
DEI 555L
Code Alarm IPP03
Code Alarm IPPME
Code Alarm PLDATA
Out of all of those I would recommend the 555L as you have or the PLDATA. The IPPME isn't made anymore and the IPP03 is junk. 20402 works fine but you have to read the resistance yourself and set it. I've put all of them in cars and had them work. I've put all of them in cars and had them not work. And I've had to pull all of them out of cars and replace them with something else. Good luck,
Mike
rod2envy 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2004 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, the remote start works fine, the only thing is when I start it with the remote start control the engine starts fine but the SECURITY lights comes on and when I get inside the car and insert the key to drive it and turn it to the run position then hit the break the SECURITY light stays on for as long as I drive the car untill I turn the key off, so my problem is not functional is just that the light wont go off,,, any other ideas that might help are really really welcme. Thanks Again!

Damian

"You are either good or not good"
bmf1000d 
Silver - Posts: 345
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2004 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
Over the test of time the Passlock has a chance to learn what you have done. What worked on mine wasturnign the ignition on and then off then on again and leaving the key turned on for 5 mins. It removes the security light but in a few weeks it will be back.
"Big" Mike
Double Take
Fremont, Ne
remember to check all your wires with a dmm not a test light!!
i take no responsibilty whatsoever for the vailidty of the info nor consequences thereof
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2004 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
The vehicle's computer is sensing that the bypass has a slight difference from the regular key and it is recognizing that difference. The only way to stop that is try tweaking the bypass a little more which usually doesn't get you too far or replacing it.
Another option is to do a permanent bypass of the key.
This can be accomplished by connecting the bypass's negative input to chassis ground(This wire is normally connected to the remote start negative out when running). Connect the power wire for the bypass to the vehicle's ignition wire.
Here's what will happen... everytime you start the vehicle, even with the regular key, the computer reads the bypass instead of switching back and forth and getting a difference each time.
The drawback is that you will lose the security features of the Passlock system by doing this. So if you can live with the little light you are better off. If you can't then try the permanent bypass. If you live in high crime area it may not be wise, so use your judgement.
Good Luck.
speedylt 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado that I installed a Crimestopper RS900 remote starter in. I did not have to bypass any security system even though my wiring diagram showed it was a passkey II system. When the unit is started with the remote and then driven with the key, the security light stays on all the time. When the vehicle is shut off and started again with the key, the light is off. I did not hook up a factory alarm shut down wire or the 3rd ignition wire. Any further information would be great.
Thanks,
SpeedyLT
advanced529 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  

The reason the security light is on is because you did not bypass the passkey system.. You need to get the correct bypass and install it!! This will keep the security light from staying on..

Good luck   J

tjdurham 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
your passlock connection is probally broken, if it is it will still let you start the truck but security light will come on as stated check the connections of the yellow wire that was cut on the install , possibly the relay is bad inside module the 555L is the correct bypass and will work fine unless it is bad unfortunately if you bought it over the counter there is no warranty the easiest way to bypass paslock2 is with PLDATA SINCE THERE ARE NO WIRES TO CUT
tj

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic