icon

amp suggestions for Focal Poly 165v2

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
proinstall 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

Going in a S2000.. that a bunch of people think I don't own amp suggestions for Focal Poly 165v2 -- posted image.... but thats another thread..

I just picked up this component set on ebay.. brand new for $200. woofers, tweeters and crossovers..  now before I put it in the car I want to have my amp ready to install along with it.. This is the only set I will be powering as there are no rear speakers.. (its a 2 dr 2 seater, no need) so I'll only need a 2 channel..

My question: What amp will make these sound as good as they will/should? (brand/model)

All the car security I do I never really get into the car audio.. but the problem is 55-145mph with the top down I cant hear the stock stereo.. so I'm upgrading.. :P

proinstall 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  

a little more info so you guys can help me better:

amp suggestions for Focal Poly 165v2 -- posted image.

2 way separate system.

165mm woofer. 
25mm (1") v.coil.
84mm magnet.
TN 47 tioxid tweeter.
2-way separate crossover 
12 dB/oct. (3.5kHz).
Adjustable tweeter and mid range level.
Max. power handling: 150W.
Nominal, power handling: 75W.
Sensitivity (2.83 V/1m): 93dB.
Frequency response: 
60Hz-20kHz.
Grills included.

http://www.focal-america.com/catalog/new_polyglass/165v2.htm

my only worry is they wont fit.. but if that happens ill resell them on ebay and pick up the slim model..

mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
I personally like the new kicker sx amps if you have the money to buy one on because these are very pricey. They have all the adjusting and tweaking capabilities you could ever wantor need. I would use an amp of at least 50 watts per channel but kciker has an amp that is 75 watts by 2 or 4 and this would be perfect.
Even if you are on a budget the older kicker amps are very nice to with one of the best crossovers i have seen on amps.
For an extreme budget look into us acoustics for an amp But dont let the low price scare you these are great amps.
proinstall 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  

The smallest Kicker SX amp I could find was 200x2.. are you sure they make a 75x2 ?

mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  
The one you have found that is rated at 200 watts by 2 at 2 ohms this amp will supply about 100 watts rms at 4 ohms which is what the speakers you have will show the amp. I made a mistake about the 75 watt a channel amp but that one will work.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  

What on earth do you think you are doing in a car at 145 mph? let alone over the posted limit, my friend I'll help you all day long with any audio question, but when I see stupid comments like this, it makes me want to come find you and ticket you on the spot, or impound your vehicle, get the drift, if not see my friends best friends headstone. (Excessive speed killed my best friend) You are not bulletproof and if you continue on this path, you will be a statistic and probably take innocent others with you.

Find yourself any 2 channel amp that has the desired output and flexibility that you need. I happen to be able to hear a difference between amps, this is a hot topic on other forums. i would choose a good American built amp, not American owned but built in singakoreachinatiawanapore where most amps are made now. Eclipse makes a good amp for you, as does Soundstream and numerous others. Find one that is in your dollar range that offers the most flexibility. An amp that produces 75w x2 is going to be marginally quieter than an amp that produces 100w x2 and infact in some cases may actually be louder than the larger wattage amp. Amplifiers make amps, you hear in decibels, throw wattage out the window. A good high current amp is what those Focals need to do the job right.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
Hey forbidden have you used a kicker sx amp before??
Built in US or not this amp is better than most amps on the market today
There is no dought that soundstream among others is great and i love amps made in US but this Kicker amp is great ,i dont care where it is made as long as it sounds good and is built solid.
The flexibility alone makes this amp great and this is a high current amp as well it just looks cool.
Most people look at the price and change there mind but this amp is one great piece and i hope you get the chance to listen to one soon!!
Hey proinstall get whatever you want in an amp but make sure you listen first and like what you hear ,good luck.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  

Forbidden sells against Kicker, this does not mean that it is a bad brand, I only showed the customer some more options that he can choose from so as not to make it a one size fits all issue. Our local dealer has had reliability problems with the line when they did all of the changes, how have you faired? The distributor in Canada even dropped the line over these issues. Kicker has some nice equipment if you know which models to choose from. I agree with the statement of get whatever you want in an amp but make sure you listen to it first and like what you hear, could not have said it better myself.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
You should definitely listen to a JL Audio amp. Some of the best technology and sound out there. Their 300/2 outputs 150 X 2 from 1.5 to 4 ohms so its really flexible.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
honestly Forbidden I personnaly have not seen a problem yet with the kicker line. Im not sure as to what you or anybody else has experienced but if I do experience problems i will be sure to reevalute the line. It just seemed like you came accros with it being a big deal about where they are made. My point was i dont care if a product is made wherever if they perform good.
But again if you get the chance to test a sx amp, play with it and post back what you think about it.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic