icon

2000 Malibu & Avital 4200 remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
epete1112 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
I am trying to install an Avital 4200 remote start / keyless entry into a 2000 malibu.  I have the wires all connected, but the remote start will not work.  When pressing the buttons to start the system, I just get the lights to flash 4 times and that is it.  I am pretty sure I have every wire connected correctly except for 2 wires.  1 wire is for the ignition output from the alarm.  I have tapped that into the ignition module fuse by the fusebox.  The other wire I am unsure about is the remote start activation input wire.  I have not connected this anywhere, because I am unsure of where it goes.  I have not even messed with the keyless entry yet, because I do not have directions for the relay for that, it is a Directed Electronics 451M, and I can't get the installation guide from there website right now.  Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
451m link
WHITE/ blue remote activation input- ground it
you have 2 ign on ur malibu, make that connection.
btw, if you installed a starter kill relay, put the starter wire on the starter side of the relay.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
Is the hood open, or hood pin grounded? I dont know that unit, but what does the manual say about 4 flashes?
Make sure you bypass the passlock II
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
epete1112 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
I found out the 4 flashes were that I forgot to plug the brake light plug back into the brake pedal (oops).  I am a little confused on the 2 ignitions on the malibu.  Would that be the 2 orange cables off of the key switch?  Thanks for the help.
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2004 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
nvm what i said about the starter kill relay thingy.
instead the starterkill is integrated into the remote starter relay pack.
you have two ignition wires and the avital has two ignitin wires, pink and pink/white. connect them two wires, its simple as that.
|        IGNITION|pink               |+ |ignition harness *1        |
| SECOND IGNITION|green               |+ |ignition harness *1        |
*1 To access the ignition harness remove the radio (without unplugging it) or the panel just above the radio.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  

four flashes means you went into timer mode.  that means you are pressing the lock and unlock button at the same time like the old avital remotes.  one the new 4000,4200, and 4300 you have to press the * twice.  thats in the owners book.

sorry if you were hitting the * twice tho.

on DEI stuff, i cap off the green wire that acts as the keyside starter wire.  it causes too many problems with ignorant customers.  they will lock with the remote and that activates the starter kill (anit grind)  then they call in and say it wont start with the key, and when they remote start and drive the lights blink.  THATS CAUSE IT THINKS ITS STOLEN.  lock and unlock with the remote ALWAYS.  anyway, just use the purple with it.  the oranges are just accy wires, they might connect to the same terminal else where in the car so they might test identical with your DMM.  you do need a second ign to power up.  besides that... are you on tach or voltage, is the over ride switch on, and did you happen to install the 555L passlock II bypass?

sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2004 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  

sorry, just read the rest of your post.  the remote start activation input isnt needed.  that is used for alarms to trigger the RS, so you can add eiter one later and stil have everything work.  you dont need the ignition output to alarm either.

as for the 451m, you dont have to use the whole thing unless you have a 5wi system.  the malibu is + trigger, lt. blue and white in the drivers kick.  take the ribbion harness from the 451m, and cut it off a few inches from the 451m.  take the red wire in the middle and strip it down to the white harnss, then cap it off or rip it out.  use the blue and green wires as your lock/unlock.  they change functions on + or - systems.  if you hook them up and lock really unlocks, just switch the blue and green wires.

epete1112 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2004 at 6:47 AM / IP Logged  

sroth140 wrote:

you do need a second ign to power up.  besides that... are you on tach or voltage, is the over ride switch on, and did you happen to install the 555L passlock II bypass?

I connected a wire to tach.  I do have the override switch on.  I did not install the 555L passlock II bypass.  I do not believe this car has passlock on it.  As far as the second ignitioin, I am still a little confused.  Is this the same wire I connected for the starter wire coming off the ignition?  If so, great, I got it.  If not, which wire do I connect it to.  Thanks for the advise on the green wire, I know this person would have problems with that.

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2004 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
Why dont you think it has the passlock II?
I dont think that is your problem........Yet. Once you figure out what is wrong, your car still wont start since you do have passlock II. Just so you are not surprised, once you finally get the car to attempt to remote start, it will lock you out from being able to start the car even with the key for 10 minutes. You will need to leave the ignition on for that 10 minutes.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
epete1112 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2004 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
I thought passlock was a factory alarm/theft protection system.  I know I have/had it on my 2000 S-10 because when I powered it on, I got the flashing light saying "Security" and it would flash everytime I locked the doors with the keyless entry.  I do not have this on the Malibu.  If I am incorrect on what Passlock is, please correct me because I am by no means an expert on this.  Thanks for the help.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic