icon

Ultrastart 4255/4500, Prestige, Marksman

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cbr123 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  

Hi!  This has to be one of the best sites on the web!

I have been trying to narrow it down between these alarms/RS.  Ultrastart 4255, US4500, Prestige 996 and Marksman M11 or one of its equivalents.  Basically I am trying to figure out which one of these has the best potential range and if it's really that much better than any of the others.  I have heard Compustar has good range, but I don't think I am willing to risk buying a piece of junk.  Does anybody have the Ultrastart 4500?  Is its range any better than the 4255 and do you like the remote - to me it looks a little funky.  Also, which, if any, of these display the interior temp of the car on the LCD remote?  I think that would be a killer feature so I would know if it's worth starting my car in the morning.  Are there any features that are exclusive to one of these that stand out as really cool/necessary to anyone?  I am willing to trade some range for reliability or some features.  Any first hand experience users or installers who want to sound off on comparing these brands, please do!

Thanks,

BJ

white caddy 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
i have installed the ultrastart and at the start they seem to work fine and be a great deal but give it a little time and it will lose its programed features and the remote shock sensor setting will all of a sudden reset to its most sensitive setting causing anything to set it off. but, i dont know exactly what model i was installing so i dont know if they fixed this problem.
i dont realy like prestige but it is dependable and works well.
d.s.
cbr123 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  

How long ago was the last install that gave you trouble?  I was leaning toward one of the Ultrastarts.  Why don't you like Prestige?  How does their range compare with Ultrastart?

Jeez, I have a million ?'s

Thanks for responding.

white caddy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
about a year ago, prestige is good i just don't like the wiring and the programing, after you get past that it's a pretty good unit.
you have a million what?
d.s.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
go with the prestige the ultra starters suck as mentioned before this is some of there biggest problems but they have more i used to install them "they suck,believe me i dont care what anyone sas they start off ok and then the hell begins".The marksman is a goo dunit to although i think prestige is your best choice.
white caddy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
A-men, the guy from mobiletoys2002 said it blunt, after about a week of installing the ultrastarts i hade my boss send them all back. if you want a lcd that shows the inside temp go with a autopage 750. but be carefull the tranmitter with the lcd is delicate. personaly i like it better than the dei style pager lcd.
d.s.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
That was the best thing you could do is have them sent back those things are made by the devil. Those units are garbage they have great range, easy installation, installer friendly features and that is where it stops.
The units seem to have a mind of there own I know they call this a brain but these things go from being semi smart to dumb in a week or so. I have seen many come back for the exact same thing and then see some still work sorta.They always get super sensitive on there own they lose tach they start your car like sh*t after a week or so maybe a month if your lucky! I am verry honest when it comes to this unit, It is a cheap unit that sucks you may get lucky - you may not they are problems waiting to happen. They should call this unit the ultrsh*t starters built by a d*ck!
white caddy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
i totaly agree, i'm glad someone know what i mean. i forgot to mention the problem with the tach but you tend to leave stuff out when there are so many thing wrong, that realy bad. when i first installed this unit i thought, where has this thing been all my life but like a bad relationship- it did'nt last long. have you done any autopage products? 310, 410, 610, 650, 750 or 850?
d.s.
mobiletoys2002 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2004 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
No I have not how are they?? I mainly install dei units as well as a lot of crimestopers. I have yet to find any big problems with the crimestoper units, they seem to be very reliable and they are cheap. Crimestoper is 1000000 times better than the sh*t starter!
white caddy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2004 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
i don't recall installing any crimestopers. they are pretty good, i like them because they are 1-reliable 2-cheep 3-i love all the features. the 850 i don't like. it's supposto be the new improved model but i don't like the looooong delay with the lcd transmitter. like when the alarm go's off and you try to shut it up it takes like 7-8 seconds to for the brain to recieve the signal. because of the 2 way pager. but all the other models i love easy to install, easy to program, profitable and no returns as long as there hooked up right, but thats the same with most alerms. you can have the best system but if it's hooked up like sh*t it gonna work like sh*t.
d.s.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic