icon

2001 dodge ram system opinions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
king244 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
i would like opinions on a system i want to put in my 2001 dodge ram.
Although I have been out of the business professionally for awhile i have no problem with this install, just want opinions from guys in the current genre of equipment as i only want to do this once :)
Anyway here it is.....
For the head unit im thinking pioneer avhp7500dvd multimedia system..(flip out screen & tv tuner).. it is a hi powered deck so no amp necessary for speakers which im thinking reasonable cost but smooth sounding mb quart's, dkc 169 6x9 in the front doors and rkc 113 5.25 in the rear location...also, would like to make it simple and put in an mtx thunderform amplified box, 2- 10" subs under rear seat.....
Also, 1 other question...should i go with co-ax or 3 way speaks in front door, any suggestions?
There are other reasons also why i like this setup, as i want to keep the install reasonably simple....i dont want components and center channel i think the coax should sound nice especially since they come with crossovers allready....
k, let me hear it, thanks
king244 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  
hmmmmm, anyone out there...i need opinions on this equipment.......
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  

Sounds like it will be a decent system.  The key, of course, is to get speakers you LIKE the sound of and that will not break down over time.  If you like the sound of Quarts, then you can't go wrong putting them in as they are a genuinly high quality label.

I prefer the sound of coax speakers over 3-ways, as they seem to have smoother transients and not so shrill a high end - in general.  I have yet to listen to a 3-way I like, but that's just me.  Speaker choice is completely subjective!

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

Do we have to be nice to Dodge owners? One just hit my F350, $347.00 damage to mine and $2900.00 to his. hehe....

I  notice that you have two different series of speakers in the vehicle, as always the best and most important speaker should be the front speakers. I personally would not mount a 6x9" co-ax or tri-ax in the doors, I would use a set of matching reference or premium 6.5" components with a good amount of sound deadening in that big door. That door resonated like no other, knock on the door skin and you will feel it in your knuckle and here it as well. Would I do a 3-way set of Quarts, probably not as the 2-way components can be hidden easily, the others cannot.

The next problem I see is the efficiency of the system, should you go with the components and ref co-ax (could also do a ref co-ax as pointsource up front) is that they do not play as loud as a true co-ax, thus a small amp would be recommended. If you are intent on running only deck power, then I would use a co-ax setup all the way around, factory size speakers so a 6x9" and a 5.25" and it will sound great.

I would give serious consideration to the Eclipse dvd dcreen. The head unit purchase will make or break your system, yes it is more expensive however it will deliver much more enjoyment to you over the years, consider it if you will.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
king244 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info guys...appreciated...
Forbidden you have some good points, but as I said in the post I really dont want to make this any more than it has to be. I do not have a shop with all the equipment it will be done in my driveway, so im kinda leery about the components in the front doors. I havent taken them apart so it seems for components i would have to do some modifying or build a plate to make them fit...thats what im trying to get away from and do exactly what you stated, go with factory sizes, Thats what i wanted to know if it should sound good because like i said ive been out for awhile and wondering how the mb quarts should respond....Also, im not 23 anymore im now 35 so i dont need the ear shattering volume, ive been thru that and by the way be careful guys I used to have hearing like a bat but it has degraded somewhat because of those reasons, but im more interested in moderately high but clean volume, crisp highs and punching lows....
I like the pioneer because of its ability to handle and expand to everything including nav. system in the future, it also has 5.1 and dts built in , tv tuner built in ,among other things... though i havent checked out the eclipse i will take a look...
Thanks again....
OH P.S. wondering who and how the subject was changed and why....?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
Well I'm not longer 23 either, can't hear terribly great and now am also 35. Wasn't trying to change topics on you, just show some more options, my last option though was what you originally stated. Pioneer does build a good dvd screen, the Eclipse will make your Quarts sound that much better and it sounds like sq is what you are looking for. It is you that will be listening to the speakers and no doubt you hear different than all of us, buy the speakers that sound good to you and will do the job that is asked of them. I have done very similar systems to yours in the same truck (no dvd screen) and have had great results every time, I think you will be quite happy with your system.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
i would consider a set of alpine type r's for co-ax, if your on a budget...when hit with a clean amp i was very very impresed,    if money is not the issue and im not talking crazy prices   look towards the new jl equipment
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  

If you are looking at components here is a suggestion.  Dodges around that year with the premium system had tweets in the a-pillar.  You might look into that...

king244 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
all very interesting, thanks....
king244 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
just checked out eclipse equipment....looks good but pioneer offers more...built in tv tuner and xm ready among other things.....
here is a link to check out different manufacturers models....
http://www.dtstech.com/home&car/caraudio/dvd.php
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic