Capacitors....worth it?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Msmith02 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged  

Hey everyone,

Just found this site and just from reading a few of the threads looks like we got quite a few people here who know car audio. First a little info about my system that I have. I have a JL Audio 12w0 in a truck style wedge box (only thing that fits in my truck sadly .... bah) anyways I just picked up a Lightning Audio B300.2 amplifier to put on it. I am wondering if the amp itself will  be enough, or should I go ahead and get a capacitor as well and throw that on there? How much do they help the sub? I personally like my sub to BUMP, and it wasn't doing a good enough job with my old amp (an MTX 120W RMS amp). I am thinking the new amp will be good, but I have heard that a capacitor could help. So my question is do you  think a capacitor is worth the money and will it make that much of a difference ? Thanks!

Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  

Well the cap will not make the sub any louder, it will help with peaks in your music as far as your amp goes...I dont think you can go wrong by anymeans getting a cap...depending on how much power your pulling you might not really need it...how much bigger is your new amp?

thats my thoughts on a cap,

good luck

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
Msmith02 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  
Old amp = 120W RMS bridged..... New Amp = 300W RMS bridged .... but I will also be running both amps now too...old amp is gonna go to the door speakers and the new one to the sub. So a capacitor basically helps when you need an extra boost to the system is that how it works?
eargasm 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  

you wont need a cap.

if your total power was approaching 1000watts then definately but you wouldnt notice at this stage.

someone else will correct me if i'm wrong but i think the rule of thumb is 1farad capacitance for every 1000watts. most caps are 1farad or larger these days.

2001 Ford Fairmont
Alpine DVD, screen,
5.1surround processor,
5ch Class-T amp, TV tuner
and centre channel.
Focal 3way Utopia splits.
VDO navigation. Stinger cap.
Soundstream Exact subs.
Clean Install 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, that is how it works, it stores energy until it is need then it supplies the amp with the energy that is stored, then it recharges itself, something to that effect....

And a good rule to go by is a 1 farad cap for every 1000 watts and .5 for  500

Clean Install 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  
eargasm wrote:

you wont need a cap.

if your total power was approaching 1000watts then definately but you wouldnt notice at this stage.

someone else will correct me if i'm wrong but i think the rule of thumb is 1farad capacitance for every 1000watts. most caps are 1farad or larger these days.

he is correct,

Msmith02 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  
alright sweet thanks guys....well I will have to see how the new amp sounds tomorrow and go from there I guess....I really wish I could get a bandpass box in my truck, but not enough room *cries* haha
Clean Install 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  
Good Luck with everything
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2004 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  
Man...if your lights on your car are dimming..get a cap. If a cap doesn't help you need to upgrade your electrical system.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
Your JL sub only likes about 125 watts RMS. Feeding 300 would be feeding what it can handle peak. If you want more bump buy their W3v2 12 or something. I know the W3v2 12" likes 300 watts RMS so it might be somethin to consider.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic