icon

subwoofer suggestions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fatdaddyjoe 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
here is my situation...i have a 1996 chevy s10 regular cab i want to put a single sub in behind the passenger seat,however i dont want to put the passenger on the dash board..i currently have 2-8" square kickers but the box built to specs puts the seat too far forward for me i do not want to run a single 8 so i am looking for a good 12 or maybe even a 10 to put behind the passenger side (60-40 split seat) i am looking for rms of 400 plus.. mounting depth of 5" to 5.5" if anyone has a reccomendation of a single sub that will pound please let me know also post any links of where they are so i can check them out..thanks again
the louder the better !!!!!!
can you feel it ?????
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
You should definitely check out the JL W7 8". You can turn it down and it'll still sound good for when you have someone in the passenger seat. Then when you want it loud it'll give you some volume. Its got almost a 7" depth though so I dont know if it will work for you.
fatdaddyjoe 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
i need a smaller mounting depth....but i want alot of bang....
the louder the better !!!!!!
can you feel it ?????
Msmith02 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
With a small mounting depth like that you are going to have a really hard time finding something that is going to bump. I dont know how much money you have to spend, but I saw an awesome setup that you can do in just about any truck that has a small cab if you are willing to spend the money on it, and you can work with as big of a mounting depth as you would like. The system I saw had 2 JL 12w4's I believe w/ a JL 600.2 running it something along those lines and it thumped rediculously loud. What the guy did was had a hole cut through the back walls of his truck and had a sealed box built in the bed of the truck. A port was installed where the holes were cut, and I have not heard a louder system coming from a truck that sized. Hope that helps ya out some.
dcgc 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
check on JL Audio 6w0 or 8w0
the 6w0-4 needs 3.5" depth and a box of .2^ and rated at 75 watts rms four of these wired in series would hit pretty hard with that amp.
Or 8w0 it need 4.63 depth and a box of .375^ rated at 75 watts four of these would rock also.
2003 Silverado Ext. cab
Kenwood mp922
Kenwood kgc6042a EQ
JL Audio xr650-csi
MB Quart PSC 213
JL Audio 300/4
pair of JL Audio 12w6v2
JL Audio 1000/1
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
A cutout is definitely an option.  Speakers are a great start, though.  While I haven't heard them myself, a buddy who's also an installer said he's building fiberglass door panels to house 8" woofers (Focal Utopias I believe).  Have you Dynamated yet?  You might look into building a custom center console/enclosure to house a sub. 
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
In a 1994 Chevy Siverado I loaded x8 JL 12W-3 in a bandpass box in the bed and had it ported into the cab. You get 3 db of gain using the bandpass and cabin gain of 2 or so db. Combined with 2 Hifonics Collossus Series 7 (yes when they were real amps). Three problems with this, one was the opening into the truck was 20"x13". Sealing between the bed and the cab was tough since the bed and cab flex independantly. Used a camper boot. Second was the weight. x8 drivers and 3 sheets of 1" MDF.
Gas milage went out the window! Installing enough Mids and Highs was a challenge. x4 Quart 6" M/B x4 Quart 5.25" and x4 Quart 1" Tweeters. X6 Hifonics Zeus
Now, I have a 03' Harley F-150. JL makes a Stealthbox that replaced the rear console with a 12W-3V2 and no it's not the same, but I didn't loose any space and is totally stealth. Pickups are tough, guess the question is how far do you want to go!
BaddestBanshee 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
s10l5 kicker solobaric. I have one behind the passenger seat in my 2003 silverado.
Want to know about Audi, I thought you did.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

You have a small cab and like you said you don't want your knees in your teeth (the trailer park is in an uproar). Planet Audio makes some really good shallow depth speakers, like the NEO12 and NEO10. Both subs use either a small sealed or ported enclosure, handle up to 300w rms, have carbon fibre cones on aluminum baskets, neo magnets and a mounting depth of under 4". These subs work absolutely great for an application like this. Another really good sub is the Blaupunkt saucer series, these guys build another really serious shallow mount sub.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic