the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

insulation in speaker boxes?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
erinh 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
I'm about to install some 12'' subs. I built a box the size the makers recommended. My friends are telling me I should shove it full of some kind of insulation to make it sound better/louder. Is this true or should I not put anything in the box?
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
in a sub box if you add poly fill u slow the waves down in the box making sub sound deeper as if it was in a bigger box play with the poly fill see if u like !
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  

Insulation = no

Polyfill = Yes

Polyfill = pillow stuffing material, available at Welfare Mart and other fine stores!

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Julian59 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  

They are sevrel things that adding Damping Material does to a sealed box.

A wise man once said

A. Compliance Increase. The use of low density high specific heat material will cause an increase in the acoustic compliance of the enclosure. This is the equivanlent to increasing the box size and can amount to as much volume increases of 15% to 25%.

B. Efficiency Increase.  Proper selection of the amount, type of material (fiber glass, dacron and long fiber wool) and the location of the material within the enclosure can cause an increase in efficiency by as much as 15%.

C. Mass Changes.   Filling material has the potential of changing the total moving mass of the system.

D.  Damping Losses.  iIf you pack filling material densely and close to the rear of the driver basket, frictional losses can be substantial.  Note: uncompressed loosely packed stuffing has no effect whatsoever in the effective volume of the enclosure.

Julian59 

Be Smart Never Assume
Improvise Adapt and Over Come
=============================
Installer/Technician 20 years
erinh 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  

julian so about howmuch should i stuff in there? just as much as i can get in?

they are for punch 12'' speakers that needed 1.25 cubic feet. i bought a 5lb box of poly fill earlier. should i try to fit all of it in the 2 boxes?

chase84720 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure it fills it but fits loosly.  put to much and it'll cause way more damage than good.   thats what i have gained from experiences with it.
chase
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
Use about 1lb per cubic foot in a sealed enclosure.  Keep it away from the speaker's magnet structure as it can be burnt (and make your car smell bad.)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic