icon

questions about HU, amps, subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
prncrakim 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  

Hello, i'm new here, i have a 1998 honda accord ex-v6 coupe and i recently purchased a Pioneer DEH-7500MP (from reading through the forum i noticed virtually everyone prefers alpine head units but i just think the pioneer is a better looking unit (a concern for me)).  I also purchased 2 12" MTX Thunder 6000 T6124A 4-ohm subs for $179.99 from crutchfield (i thought it was a good deal for decent subs they were originally 140 apiece).  I currently have a sealed enclosure with 2 12" blaupunkt 250rms(extremely beat up thats why i'm replacing)  with a mtx thunder 275x amp.  Everything else is factory.  my first question is am i making a mistake by going with the pioneer hu instead of something else? my second question is the quality of the MTX subs ($180 was about what i wanted to spend for the two), lastly should i upgrade to a new amplifier..could i use the old one to power other speakers if i did upgrade.  any suggestions for front and rear speakers would be helpful as well.  sorry in advance if i asked to many questions.  thanks

ps (i'm not looking for mind blowing sound, i just want decent bass that i can enjoy (not the rest of the neighborhood)

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
what are the specs of the MTX amp you have right now? If I have more info I can suggest some options.
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
You can use that amp to power speakers just look at the power handling on the speakers and then on the amp...just make sure you're not going to over power them. Make sure you have enough power to power the amp as well.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

If the amp was bridged to output 500 watts rms for the blaupunkts then make sure it 4 ohm 2 channel power rating isnt to high for your speakers if you use it for your speakers. Again ,if you tell me the specs of your amp right now I could help you better. Also the MTX are fine subs. Not as good as some brands but not bad either.

fatdaddyjoe 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
pioneer makes a great head unit thats what i always used until i recently purchased my alpine...you wont be dissapointed
the louder the better !!!!!!
can you feel it ?????
prncrakim 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  

i looked at the amplifier to try and get more specific specs but i could not find anything offhand.  The amp just says MTX Thunder 275W, the box and amp are not currently installed because i took it out of my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee before i sold it.  i think i am going to stick with the same amp for now to see how it sounds before i decide to spend any more money on an upgrade.  How can i get the most out of it? (before i install it, local shop will be doing it but i want to make sure they do a good job)   thanks

prncrakim 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  

"If the amp was bridged to output 500 watts rms" -  what exactly does this mean, excuse my ignorance.  does this mean i could "bridge" my 275w amp to make it 500w (250w per sub)? seems like something i would want to do.

customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry i was just guessing the output of your amp since you said your blaupunkt subs like 250 watts continuous (RMS). Does your amp say it outputs 275 watts X 2 channels continuous or does it just say 275 watt max? If it does say it outputs 275 watts continous X 2 channels then is it in 4 ohms or 2 ohms or is a max power rating (maximum power at a musical peak)?

prncrakim 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
is there a certain way to tell what the amp rates if it doesn't explicitly say (i didn't see anything though i only glanced)
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  

Ok i looked around more and found out that your MTX amp when bridged only outputs 150 watts which really is barely enough for one sub. Even if you dont want wake up the neighbors bass you should still get a bigger amp then this for two subs. These subs like around 180 to 250 watts continuous. I would reccomend the Rockford Fosgate Power 350M. It outputs 350 watts continuous in 2 ohms which is about perfect for your subs. If you order it from Crutchfield then its only $199 so you save about $75 on a great amp. Since that amp was pretty small you'll need at least an 8 gauge amp kit like this one from streetwires: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-gnCTJ0gr4GW/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=711&I=211PS8RI&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N Also since your subs are not dual voice coil you should wire them to the Rockford amp like this to get 2 ohms:

questions about HU, amps, subs -- posted image.

http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/archive/thunder275x.cfm

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-gnCTJ0gr4GW/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=130&I=575351M&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

sorry about the really long post

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic