icon

sealed or vented

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skylark 
Copper - Posts: 191
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
i have 2 kickersolobarbic l7 15's now i have an question about the type of enclosure should i get the sealed one made just for these subs or the vented one which looks the same but has vented ports. what will hit harder sealed or vented both are made just for these subs
goingcrazyonsound
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
A vented box will provide you with a boomeir sound usually good for rap. A sealed box will provide you with tighter bass then a sealed but I dont know how much the difference would be with a sealed box compared to a ported since they are 15" subs. Also a vented box makes a subs continuous power handling go down about 100 watts.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
These subs prefer to be used in a sealed enclosure. They will operate in a ported enclosure, but it is a mighty big one at that. Your best bet is to stay sealed, it will give you great sound and good low extension.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
skylark 
Copper - Posts: 191
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  

so im better off getting an sealed box but why do i keep seeing all them vented boxes like they are suppoes to be better

goingcrazyonsound
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
Because most people are only interested in how loud they can make something instead of how good it sounds and how low it can go. A ported enclosure will play louder, especially near the tuning frequency, but below that, the sealed enclosure will hand it it's a$$. Should you go with a sealed enclosure you would be well advised to get yourself a subsonic filter to help protect the subs from damage. Most guys on this site are a little more geared towards good sound but can also switch to SPL mode if asked. Should you want to get loud, go with the big ported enclosure. Two 15" drivers no matter what kind of box is going to play loud enough to cause permanent hearing damage, if this is important to you, then go with the sealed box, get more music for your dollar and play your music responseably.
sbrock 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
skylark wrote:

so im better off getting an sealed box but why do i keep seeing all them vented boxes like they are suppoes to be better

the reason you keep seeing vented boxes is because they are better and aparently if you are going with two 15s then you want a lot of bass if you only wanted SQ you would of probly just got one 10 so if this is the case then you need to go ported I would suggest about 4 cuft per sub with the ports tuned between 35-40 hz

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  

Ported boxes arnt always better. They dont have as flat frequency response as a sealed box and they lower your subs power handling. Just because some one has two 15s dosnt mean they need a ported box. He should't need to go ported in this case because he should already get tons of output without the loss of powerhandling ,the larger box size ,and not as flat response. Think how big a ported enclosure would be if each speaker needed 4 cubic feet of airspace! STICK with sealed.

sbrock 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
I know exactly how big it would be I build boxes everyday for peoples vehicles and a car like that has room foor 3 or 4 15's so he should have no problem getting 8 cuft in that paticular truck all old school have huge trucks and why do you say the subs loose power I have never heard anything like that before
forbidden 
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

This car has like a 6 body trunk, 12 if you chop them up, so yes the airspace is there. It does not mean that you have to use it though. The poster needs to decide what kind of response he is after, loud and obnoxious bass or decent flat response that will still play loud (and two of these will play loud no matter what). Subs lose power handling below the tuning frequency, this is part of the reason that a subsonic filter should be used and is in fact recommended from Kicker for these subs.

Power handling of these subs and for most subs at the tuning frequency and below goes right out the window, a sealed enclosure will handle the power much better. As frequency drops the sub gobbles up much more power, it takes way more power to hit a 40 hz note with authority as it does a 80hz note. Yes this sub in a ported enclosure will wail, no doubt, but the sealed will yield better overall results. It is up to the user to decide.

sssssss27 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
Don't those subs have an EBP below 45 and isn't it a general rule of thumb that if the EBP is below 45 sealed enclosures are a better bet? I modeled it in WinISD Pro and if you have a 14.446 cu. ft. box and tune the port to 18.22 Hz you should get a really nice flat response to at least 20 Hz.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic