icon

CFiber how to DIY?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2004 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
i wnat to learn how to apply carbon fiber weaves on to material for a cool looks.
whats the process or DIY link for these projects?
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2004 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
you best bet and cheapest one is to build something and put the last layer as the CF. you will need to get it prepped like you were going to paint it. it is resined like fiberglass matting, just a super clear resin. and there is a bubble free solution you apply to it too. if you can lay fiberglass matting with no bubbles you can lay CF. you can sand and buff the resin also.
profuse007 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  
thanks buddy
Houston,TX
beyondamfm 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
Bubbles are not for design that is what someone told me one time.CFiber how to DIY? -- posted image.
The Clear Bra Guy
KCs premiere paint protection guru
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
Ive heard using CF is very hard without a vaccum packing thing and when its cut its extreamly hard to keep it from unraveling.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
soup 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

pureRF wrote:
Ive heard using CF is very hard without a vaccum packing thing and when its cut its extreamly hard to keep it from unraveling.

This is true, but if you are thinking of just doing like dash trim pieces, then use this method and it should be ok

Do any fiberglassing or sanding or anything before hand. Make it ready to paint, like you are about to primer it.
Lay the CF over the part that you want, then cut around it, leaving an edge of about 1 and half inches so that it is larger than the original piece
make sure all the strands are straight so that it will still look ok when you put the resin on
pour the resin over top, be generous with it, but not exsessive, then gently use a roller and roll overtop of the piece, when you can see there are no air bubbles, let it dry.
When it is pretty well dry, just a little tacky, you can trim the endges, or you can also wait untill it is completely dry, depending on what you are using to trim the edges. Then, it is pretty well sanding and buffing. Treat the CF like it was 1 layer of base and 1 layer of clear. youd ont want to sand a lot. Just smooth it and make it shiny. The edges i hear are the hardest part
I havent done it myself, but I had read a step by step on a forum a long time ago, you really are suppose to use a vacume though. you could always create a vacume for it too... create a mold of the peices, lay the CF overtop, then lay poly overtop of that, seal the edges, hook up a vacume at a corner of it (you will prolly ruin the vacume) put a hole in the very middle of it, pour resin in with a funnel, watch the resin slowly soak through. Make sure the room is at a higher than room temp. lol.. this prolly wouldnt work worth crap

profuse007 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  
pureRF wrote:
yeah youlll need a vacuum to keep the mat and resin down so it doesnt warp or whatever. i found this site and it show you how to build a heavy duty vacuum packaging using a/c compressor.
Houston,TX
tnrplaya 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  

If you put scotch tape on BOTH sides of the cut (top and bottom) that will help to discourage unraveling, but cutting extra is a very good idea too.

To get that  "rolled edge" I read a while ago [in think in this forum] that once you do the first cut and resin...ie the piece is hard...you can put the piece on a prop that us just slightly smaller than the pice you are working on. Then, if you pour a generous amount of resin over the whole piece, the excess will roll over the edge and you can cut/sand after it cures...I haven't tried this myself but it sounds like it would work, at least on flat pieces. If anyone HAS done this I would love to see pictures, or if you have a better method, I am definately all ears!

Also try looking up "carbon composites" I have been talking with Rob there and he has been extremely helpful. He even sent me out swatches of different weaves, kevlar/CF, colors etc... Rob will be able to answer most of your questions.

PG Limited Edition Octane Aplifier
PG Ti400.2
(2) JL12w6v2
Focal 165KF
JL TR-690TXi
Sony XAV-7W
Sony 10 Disc MP3 Changer
X-box
APC 350W inverter
Monster 1/0
Irragi 180A Alternator
profuse007 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 2:06 AM / IP Logged  
whats the diff b/t kevlar and cf? which is more expensive?
Houston,TX
iaudio 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
Kevlar is harder to cut and grind than CF but it is cheaper. The colored hybrid fabrics are half Kevlar.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic