icon

Snap Crackle and Pop in speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
walty220 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
I've had this problem solved for about 3 weeks,ever since i unplugged my antenna... or so I thought. Drivin along today and all the sudden my speakers start cracklin and poppin and all this. I've tried absolutely everything, i need suggestions, all and any.
1983 Oldsmobile Hurst/Olds
--------------
Pioneer Premier DEH-P360
KICKER K35 & K410 Speakers
KICKER KX150.4 Amplifier
Rockford Fosgate PUNCH 1200W Amplifier
Rockford Fosgate PUNCH 800W 12" HE2
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  

These kinds of problems are usually caused by bad grounds or by faulty car ignition systems.  If your amps are properly grounded, your HU is grounded to the chassis (and not to the car's electrical system) and your new antenna is properly grunded (meaning it has good metal-to-metal contact where it mounts to the car) then I would suspect you have noise from you car's ignition system.

Does the sound change with the speed of the engine?

walty220 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
Its not a winding or anything like that,and its not consistant, would that eliminate ignition?  All grounds are good, antennas unplugged from HU.
--------------
Pioneer Premier DEH-P360
KICKER KX150.4 Amplifier
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
If you have your music up pretty loud it could just be your cd player's amp distorting.
walty220 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
music on vol 01 it does it, music on volume 00 doesnt do it.
--------------
Pioneer Premier DEH-P360
KICKER KX150.4 Amplifier
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
It may be a problem in your head unit. Most radio's actually mute the audio out when set a zero volume. You may have a bad solder connection inside the deck or a faulty transistor or capicitor. If the noise increases with engine RPM it could be ignition related. A popping or static noise is usually from the high voltage ignition system. A quick test to see if your ignition system is really bad is pull another vehicle along side yours and rev your engine. Listen to the other car's radio on FM with the engine off. If you hear noise on the other car then you have an ignition problem. The test isn't perfect, but it's only a quick check. Usually if the radio's ground is good and the battery's ground to the car body is good, ignition noise only occurs on FM. If the noise is a high pitch whine that increases with RPM, then it is usually alternator noise. If possible try another radio in place of yours as a test. Also ensure that your radio is grounded to the vehicle's chassis through a good ground wire of your own. The other thing yu can check is to try temporary new RCA cables run outside of the car.
sparky
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
maybe its because its a pioneer head-unit.
walty220 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
the people who installed it tried a series of other headunits. cant be that. noise increases with nothing but  volume,but not at the same rate,it gets slightly louder.
--------------
Pioneer Premier DEH-P360
KICKER KX150.4 Amplifier
superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
make sure your speakers arent grounding out
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  

To rule out ignition, just turn your key to accessory and turn the deck on. If it doesnt do it then but it does when you turn the car on Than it could very well be ignition. Have you had your spark plugs or wires changed lately. If you had a defect in a spark plug cable, even a pin hole, it can cause the same kind of interference you are discribing. I cant see it being a bad ground but I could very easily be a speaker grounding out like what superstreet said so I would check that out as well. Worst case scenario you could take it to a shop and pay a professional to fix the problem for you

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic