icon

quick ohm question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shadowrelic 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  

i just read the ohm laws and stuff and got a question.  if i wire a bunch of speakers together but keep the same ohm value the stereo is ment to output will it output the same watts to everyspeaker?

i have a 50 watt stereo and 3 speakers hucked up to each channel.  (after reading the law i found i need to rewire badly) but i was wondering... does the stereo have to work harder to send to all the speakers or is it the number of ohms that desides how much the stereo works???

if i hooked up about 10 speakers to each channels but kept the ohm to what the stereo wants (stereo is designed for 6 ohms) then would each speaker be really quiet because there is a bunch or would they all sound normal?

---i hope i made myself clear enough :D

2 subs
1 amp
0 knowledge of how to hook them up to my car.
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2004 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
the ohm load does determine how much output is used. if you hooked up ten speakers to a 50wrms channel each speaker would get approx. 5 wrms. if  all of the speakers have the same ohm loads at the vc they should divide the power evenly throughout them.
Quad L Handyman services
BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 3:30 AM / IP Logged  

i have no clue wut u guys are talking about?

wut do u mean ohm and wat is rms?

well let say i have a 10" sub woofer of 1100 watt max peak

wat is its ohm? and rms?

that info should be labled on the box?

and when consider about speakers. i should consider its rms or its watt?

likei would be like i have a 1100 watt sub or i should consider it by its RMS?

kinda understanding wut i'm trying to say ?

thanx

HumbleI 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  
consider it by its rms...ohm is an electrical law used in mobile electronics, it helps to determine how you should hook your speakers and amplifiers up with the ohms matched to maximize the output of your amp... its basically a more effecient way ...50wrms is 50 watts rms... so if the peak was 60 watts and the rms value was 50 thats the value you would use.... 60 watts is themax power that speaker can take. hope this helps a lil .. i still have just a rudimentary knowledge onthis stuff.... but im sure im right about this....
HumbleI 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  
and I also forgot to add about ohm... its the resitance value...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  

Wow.  All I can say is you guys need the help of professional installers.  If you don't understand basic electricity, then I strongly suggest you have pros install your equipment until you get some education.  This is not a slam. please understand, as we all started out sometime.  But it is dangerous and can be very expensive to just "dive in" if you don't understand what you're doing.

Go to the "Basics" section of this web site and read.  Get some of the beginners guides suggested there and read.  Go take some basic electrricity classes in your community (many high schools, community colleges and even local adult education centers have these classes.)

Seriously, if you don't understand the basics, don't stick your fingers in there!  Electricity can bite... and equipment will fail if used improperly.

spl_enterprise 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  
i agree with DYohn. If you dont know basic principles like ohm's law or rms power you need to learn bad. as for wiring up a lot of speakers off you head unit, be careful what you are doing, many decks dont like a whole load of speakers off one channel. if you are looking to wire up a whole bunch of speakers got yourself some more small amps, and a crossover. your stereo will thank you.
Pete - SPL Enterprise Inc.
shadowrelic 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  

ok i got my question answered, thank you ketel22 :D

for everyone else: ok i know the basics on wire installing this was just a random thought that poped into my head, its not very easy to test either because i dont own enouph speakers to find out if they start to get quiter.  i know the ohms law and i know that ohms is resistance, and no im not going to blow myself up or kill myself from pluging more then one speaker into an output..... stereos are made for that.

2 subs
1 amp
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
STEREOS ARE NOT MADE FOR THAT!
stereos(head units) are not made to go below 4 ohms per channel there is no way you can add 2 speakers to 1 channel to a car stereo unless they were 8 ohm speakers and that is rare if any available other than subs.
Plain and simple answer is this--- A car stereo is made to handle a 4 ohm load on each channel (1 normal full range car speaker)If more are added the amp would overheat and try and push the load and fail(say good bye to that radio)quick ohm question -- posted image. hope that clarified a bit.
And anyways even if they could handle 10 speakers the sound quality would suck!
shadowrelic 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2004 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

wire 2 4ohm speakers parrellel to 2 more 4ohm speakers tell me the impendance :D

(hint: i just proved you wrong)    

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm         <--- read that

2 subs
1 amp
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic