Where to put subs in a Pathfinder?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pegleg 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I'm just curious, I don't have a suv but looking into getting on in the near future.  A 2003 Nissan Pathfinder most likely.  I wanting to stick two 12" subs(Phoenix Gold X-Max) in the back. 

I wan't to be able to put the back seat down to put a couple bikes or anything that might require the seat down. I would like to keep it as consealed as possible.   I thought mabye one on each side against the wall next to the wheel well, but I've heard that subs facing each other can lead to cancellation. 

I've been trying to image the best senerio and that was it.  If any one could help it would be fantastic.

Also if it's ported (which is the way i want to go) does it matter were the port is facing?

Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  

I think your going to have to get a smaller speaker.  maybe JL W0 10" they hit good, and glass them into the hatch. or in the corners..angle them.  think if you put them into the hatch you'll have to get some stronger actuators to hold it up

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
pegleg 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by glass them into the hatch.

Thanks

Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  

fiberglass an enclosure to the hatch.  It doesnt seem like your at that level to make something that big.  I know i wont be either...its an option tho.

you could put both on the one side...or just get one sub.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
one 12" W3v2 sub should provide you with some pretty good output in a sealed box. You can put it in a nice and big ported one while its in your other vehicle if you have the room and then put it in a smaller sealed one when you move it to your nissan. I think a good amp for one of these would be the Rockford 300M wired to your sub in 2ohms (you sub would be getting the 300 watts its likes this way).
pegleg 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  

Maxst,

yeah I was thinking of doing some fiberglass, but I'll need to do some more homework on it.  As for JL subs I'm going to look more into that also.  I really don't want to part with my babys, I love them dearly. 

Thankx for the edvice guys. 

jpranwez 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  

Hey suburb. I was just curious do you have any subs you like besides jl.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
I would retire the Phoenix Golds, send them onto the old subwoofers home, not in the sky as they still work, but sell them off to someone at a good price. Technology has changed alot since those subs hit the market and there is a lot of good subs out there that will do as good a job or better. I have done an install in one of these older vehicles for a guy who mountain bikes a ton, he has alll sorts of gear to carry as well as his bike and he carries it all internally. I chose 1 Eclipse aluminum 12" sub for him in a form fitted 1.25 cu.ft box that went on the drivers side of the vehicle. His box was no taller than the bottom of the window (amp rack on top of the box - still under the window) and cam out no further than the wheel well does. This guys Pathfinder wailed and thanks to the right speakers and box, had sq that a lof of people were left drooling over. And add an Epicenter...
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  

jp I like some rockford subs like the HE2 (i dont really like the looks of the new ones, kinda looks like a plastic cone), eclipse subs, and Alpines Type Rs are nice also. But i should be asking whats wrong with JL (besides the prices on their amps)? I dont like Audiobahn, Boss, Sony or any of those brands.

spl_enterprise 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2004 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
seriously get of jl's balls for a minute. your saying to buy a crappy ass w0 insted of the x-max? what are you smoking? the x-max is a damn nice sub and underrrated as well. i dont like sony, boss or audiobahn either, but serious jl is so overrated its not funny. i mean before this new w7 what makes jl such a stand-out company in innovation? theyre speakers are just a plain assembly line sub with a silk screened logo. im not saying that they are terrible but comon your misleading this guy here man. phoenix gold is just a lot better quality/ affordability in general. the w7 is nothing but a marketing scheme for these little rich suburban kids to have theyre mommies and daddies to buy them! i know cuz i just did an install with a 12w7, in a custom vented enclosure that i built. the thing is just absurd. it cost $750.00. go buy a pair of xtr's or a pair of s-hp's and and amp to power them at that price. im not trying to start sh*t with you bro, i do agree with you about audio control, they are fantastic but the jl sh*t has got to stop.
Pete - SPL Enterprise Inc.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic