icon

I rule! Faceplate seperated from deck

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soup 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  
WEll I posted on here about a week ago or more, that I wanted to mount my faceplate elsewhere from my cd deck. With having a computer system and dvd player in my car, I don't need the headunit for CD, but I do want it for FM and AM, as well as I am real cheap and instead of buying 1 more amp ..which would make 3... I jsut want to run two speakers off of the deck. I could just mount teh head unit as normal.. but with the LCD and DVD.. im out of freakin room

So I got started a few days later (had wisdom teeth pulled, didnt feel like concentrating on tiny solder points) and I had it all wired up, brought a battery in to bench test it and!!! .... nothing! I couldnt get it to even power on, little alone light up the faceplate.. so I thought wonderfull.. i fried the basturd while soldering.. So I took all the wires and solder off, cleaned up the pads as much as I could, and tried to see if it would work as normal.. maybe just there wasnt enough voltage going through the wires to the faceplate, or it was shorting but it didnt fry... Well connecting the faceplate as normal, the deck turned on, but not faceplate power... WONDERFULL!! I fried my 400 dollar deck.. Why the hell didnt I get an old deck and try it? Well then I realised how stupid I am, and noticed a second pin switch to tell when the faceplate is in the up position to apply power. It is a huge pin switch too, I just thought it was a button for reset... So after slamming my head against a while a few times yelling STUPID STUPID, I figured I woudl wire it back up. I went and got a proper soldering tip, some higher gauge wire, some solder that I didnt find in an old tool box I found in the basement of my old house covered in webs and time, and made a nice little holder for my faceplate with a good light. Well, about 4 hours later, and neighbours covering their children's ear, running away from my house saying the lords prayer from all my swearing, IT WORKED!!! And it is still working BEAUTIFULLY!!!

So now, I need ot decide... mount it in a rear view mirror? and put the glass to the mirror on a hinge? This would look real cool, but the mirror would end up being pretty big and deep.... Or, refab a new roof center console / map light thingy, and put the faceplate in there. This would still look cool, I could upgrade the look of the roof, and it would be SO MUCH DAMN EASIER!!!

so yeah.. pictures below and stuff

I rule! Faceplate seperated from deck -- posted image.

jwshardbody 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  

don't know about the web thing,......................... but That is sweet man,......................... I am looking to mount the face of my

I am wanting to convert my PS2 into a carputer, w/ Linux,.......... and hopefully a bigger HDD than 40 gigs.  I have lots to learn still,.........LOL

I just want DVD, games, and MP3's,.......... no need for Nav. or anything else,.....................

Alpine ERA-G320 in a custom ceiling mount above my rear view mirror

Luckly the face is already a remote mount,.............. I would go nuts trying to do what you did,.........LOL

Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  

thats cool, good job

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
soup 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the comments guys, I just need to figure out where to install it now, I am thinking the center console on the roof would be the best.
I wouldnt mind putting it on the drivers door, but then the passenger wouldnt be able to touch it....
devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  

who cares about the passenger...if they dont like the music, to damn bad!  unless your married of course!

awesome idea on the face!

jwshardbody 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2004 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
devilsquid wrote:

who cares about the passenger...if they dont like the music, to damn bad!  unless your married of course!

awesome idea on the face!

Even if you are Married, I still say, who cares about the passenger,.........LOL,....... yeah I am single,.........LOL,...........

Get in, sit down, and shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,.................LOL

I like the roof mount my self,.................................

HeathMac 
Copper - Posts: 46
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
one thing for anyone looking to do this type of install, i use a kenwood cd changer cable to connect the face to the deck body. but great job for your first one
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  

Nice

~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
Feels good to accomplish something like that doesn't it, good job.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
soup 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  

HeathMac wrote:
one thing for anyone looking to do this type of install, i use a kenwood cd changer cable to connect the face to the deck body. but great job for your first one

The kenwood cd changer cable? Arent they mini SUB D connectords or watever they are called on either end? Or do you cut off the ends and re solder? I tried to use an ethernet cable so that I coudl route the wires easier (i imagine this would be the same reason why you use the kenwood cable??) but I coudlnt get the solder to stick that well to the ethernet cable.

thanks for the comments guys, it feels awesome to have this thing working and to not have wrecked it!  I really expected to be throwing this thing in the garbage, thank god I didnt have to
I started on the fiberglass enclosure, but I am putting it aside untill I can finish my custom dash. I will be posting pics in teh fiberglass section when I am done.

When I am done it is going to be a kickass interior, too bad the car is crap.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic