icon

custom boxes for mitsubishi lancer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
germ 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

i am going to be installing 2 15" subwoofers, but i need to make some custom boxes up due to the limitations of the size in the back of my car, which is a mitsubishi lancer, the subwoofers im getting are going to be from the fusion range and i will probably be putting 300-400watts RMS through each of these most likely at 4 ohms each

my question is, how can i work out the exact dimensions i will need for a 15" subwoofer, the calculators on this site really dont seem to be specific for particular sized subwoofers, i pressume the size for a 15" box and a 10" box will differ

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of woofers are you planning to use?  Every woofer has different enclosure requirements.  You will need to look up the specs on the ones you intend to use.
germ 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
And why are you sold on 15's?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
germ 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
my old subwoofers were 15" but their RMS was only something like 150w some cheap and nasty brand too, but they sounded good :)
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
So, you want 15's because you don't want to change the box? Tell us about the box, what size is it, is it sealed or ported?
germ 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  

sorry i think uve misunderstood me due to my vagueness..let me explain

i wish to make a custom enclosure for the back of my car so i can get to my spare tyre without having to pull out the boxes..being 15" subs and all they are very very heavy to have to lfit out 2 of them..im wishing to make an enclosure that will go around the surrounding tyre well so i can still get to my spare tyre without having to pull out the boxes

i purely want 15's because they are better than any other subwoofers ive had, and these were cheap and nasty ones

the box i have for mine were originally designed for 12" subwoofers but i had the holes redrilled to suit 15" subwoofers

forbidden 
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
Are you trying to annoy the outback with bass or are you after sq? Do you want the subs to play deep with authority? The box is the most critical aspect of your sub sustem, it will make or break your sound. If you put these big nasty 15's in a box, you're playing russian roulette. Your better bet is to choose a sub system that works within the confines of what you have. What amp do you have to power the subs? More info for us is better as my crystal ball need to be recharged and Dyohn can't use "the force" right now.
germ 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  

im after alot of bass but no bigtime distortions so yes..sq and volume

the amps i am going to buy will be whatever it takes to do the job...

i was also going to run splits so one amp for splits and one for subs

i dont have the amp information on me right now but i think its 500w rms or something around there

my previous subs before the 15" i have now were 10" subwoofers and they struggled with SQ and bass at high volumes, where as 15's seem to have no problems at all...12" i really dont know about..but i know 15" sounded good in my car even without the right sized box

my original question was basically how do i calculate the sizes of the boxes needed for 15" subwoofers, are there any other calculators on other sites that do the correct measurements depdning on wattage, size of sub and so on and so forth?

forbidden 
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have a budget for your subs? I and many others can probably get you into something that will do what you need without the large size subs and the resulting enclosure. I've got to head home in a bit, so I may have to respond later, post up what you can do and what you don't want to do and the reason's why.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic