icon

upgrading

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
94bonny 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  

I kno to get the best possible sound you match the subs rms with the rms that the amp produces, along with the correct ohm setup. now i am currently running a 4 ohm 12 inch infininity perfect with a fozgate 401s, it puts out 400 watts rms bridged into 4 ohms, i have the amps gains turned down because the rms of the sub is 350. 

im looking to uprage to a 15 inch, i was thinking about either the eclipse aluminum 500 rms or maybe a memphis 15.  will the 500 rms sound as good if not better than the perfect even though i will be underpowering it by roughly 100 watts?

im wondering if it will do till i can properly power it, hopefully it will sound great and i wont have to upgrade the amp

HamiltonAudio 
Silver - Posts: 278
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  

the "rms rating" you speak about is the happy power limit of the driver.  If the sub says it handles 500 wrms, it doesn't mean thats how much power you HAVE to put on it.  The amp and sub(s) you mention will work together very well...go for it!

b

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
^ this is correct, rms is a maximum recommendation for the speaker to dissipate heat associated to this power effectively. I too would go for it!
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
94bonny 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
thanks your input is greatly appreciated, im goin to go pick up the sub this afternoon :)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic