icon

Bose System in 2003 Yukon

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bradsyukno 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2004 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
How do you hook up Bose speakers in 2003 Yukon to after market amp?  I tried and got no sound.  Help Please
Mr Hexed
fbird08 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
basically you dont. you have to replace the factory speakers. the factory ones are 1ohm and aftermarket speakers are 4ohm. The aftermarket amp is designed to run at 4 or 2 ohms not 1ohm. If you hook it up to a 1ohm load its basiclaly not good for the amp and will severely decrese the amp life and may shut off frequently. I would still suspect thta you would get sound tho. You may be trying to hook into the speakers before the factory amp or the speakers are factory amplified at the speakers (the fac. amp is located on the speaker itself)
Money is just paper
Power is fleeting
But your word is everything,
If your word means nothing,
You are nothing...think about it
bradsyukno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  

I got the specs from Bose and they told me that the speakers were 2 & 4ohms.  I found the factory amp, it is under my center console.  The tech from Bose pulled the information according to my truck and year model.  I have heard you can & can't hook up your own amp.  I am going to be safe and get new speakers any ways.

B

Mr Hexed
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  

aftermarket speakers may not be compatible with the deck.... also LOC sells an output converter for this system to safely hook up an amp.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
You bit off a big job my friend. What you need is a Spk line to RCA level converter with adjustable input controls to restrict the voltage going to your inputs on your amp. Also regardless of what bose says I would take a dmm and physically check out one of the drivers in the doors to see if the impedence is indeed 2 or 4 ohms. Most bose systems I delt with are 1 ohm. I did the same sort of thing a couple of months ago for a customer and it sucked. The speakers in that vehicle were one ohm but I cannot recall teh year of the vehicle. It was close to what yours was, mabye a year or two older.
bradsyukno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  

Can I add my own speakers in the front & back doors and the rear and hook them up to my own amp?  Can use the same head unit also?

Mr Hexed
Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  
you can do that as long as you get the adjustable spk level to rca converter i talked about earlier
bradsyukno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

Are you talking about a PAC converter?  That is the peice of equipment that is wired in to the back of the radio that you plug your RCA in to run to your amp.

Mr Hexed
Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
ya thats the piece im talking about
bradsyukno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  

You should be able to run two amps off of one PAC converter by putting "Y-Jacks" on there, couldn't  you?

Mr Hexed
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic