icon

8 ohm sub w 4 ohm amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dontnojack 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  
I have a sony explode XM 2165 GTX 1000 watt amp with 165 per channel RMS @ 4 ohm. I also have a rockford fosgate 10" sub in a 1cu. ft. sealed enclosure. The sub isan HE-RFP4810,     
8 ohm sub., with 50-200watts max RMS / 400 max peak. How should I wire this in? details please. new to this. I am running off of a pioneer 40w x 4 CD player using rca outputs. thanks.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
A power rating on an amplifier lists its output into the MINIMUM ohm load it can handle.  Any load greater than this (such as 8 ohms) is perfectly safe and fine.  Just wire your sub up to the amp.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
Dyohn is bang on as usual, it will work fine. The only concern you need to be mad aware of is that an 8 ohm sub on a 4 ohm load will only deliver half of the rated power of the amp. I personally would take the sub back and get a single 4 ohm version instead to get all that I paid for in the amp.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
Or you could get a third a run it at 2 ohm if your amp can handle it
Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
Or you could get a third speaker and run it at 2 ohm if your amp can handle it
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
Just to clear things up, two 8 ohm subs in parallel would deliver a 4 ohm load, while three 8 ohm subs in parallel would deliver a 2.67 ohm load. To reach a 2 ohm load, you would actually need four 8 ohm speakers.
dontnojack 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
So if I used this sub and amp combo, if Best Buy doesnt take it back because it was on the sale rack, I would only be putting about 82watts to a speaker that can handle up to 200w RMS?  The amp as stated above has only 165RMS watts per channel @ 4 ohms. The speaker is 50-200wRMS @ 8 ohm.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
That sounds about right.  It will work and should sound fine, but it certainly does not realize the full potential of the equipment.
dontnojack 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
what if I were to add another identical sub to a bigger box for example, and make sure the box is to specs, what would happen.  It seems like that amp would then have to handle 2 subs instead of one and would be worse.  Is this correct?  all assuming I am using the same amp.  BTW, where in the hell does Sony get off calling this amp a 1000watt amp???  when it only puts out 200wattsRMS?
DYohn 
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  

Question one: adding a second 8-ohm sub will let the amp "see" a total 4-ohm load.  So, the amp will put out power at its 4-ohm rating of 200 WRMS (or whatever it is.)  The amp will be performing at it's peak capacity.  Each sub will see exactly HALF of the available power that the amp is producing.  This will be "louder" than one sub by itself by approximately 3 db, or about 1/3 louder to your ears.

Question two: Sony gets off calling it that because, in their tests in their labs under ideal conditions, that amplifier produced a momentary peak output of 1000 watts without self-destructing.  This is why you should never use the peak ratings listed for amps, and always look at the RMS output ratings.  Even these are often exagerated, byt the way, and Sony is not known for being conservative in their ratings.  I would be willing to bet that, tested under real-world conditions with full musical program material, that amp will sustain about 140 to 150 watts RMS per channel within its distortion limits.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic