8 ohm sub w 4 ohm amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dontnojack 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  

RMS Power Output:

165 watts x 2 into 4 ohms (20Hz to 20kHz, 0.1% THD)
200 watts x 2 into 2 ohms (20Hz to 20kHz, 0.15% THD)
400 watts bridged into 4 ohms (20Hz to 20kHz, 0.15% THD)

This is the specs on the amp.  How could I wire it bridged to get the most out of the amp.

again..bear with me.  I'm learning because of nice people like you!  and I'm not just typing post after post:  I am going thru searches finding info on these topics.

Thanks, Justin

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  

If you bridge this amp into your single 8-ohm speaker, it would produce about 200 Watts.  If you add a second 8-ohm speaker, each speaker would use about 200 watts (the amp would operate at the 4-ohm rating.)

If I were you, I'd go ahead and install the system, using your single speaker connected to the amp in bridged mode.  Run the same input to both channels (the RCA level signal from your head unit) and see what it sounds like.  This speaker might just be fine for you with this amp.  The only way to get "more" would be to upgrade to a larger amp (if your sub can handle more than 200 watts) get a different sub, or add a second equal sub.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  

The problem here is your sub, your amp is designed for maximum output into a 4 ohm load when it is bridged. Here is some basic math for you to help understand

8 ohm sub on a bridged mono amp that produces 400w rms @ 4 ohms, you get 200w

4 ohm sub on a bridged mono amp that produces 400w rms @ 4 ohms, you get 400w

2 ohm sub on a bridged mono amp that produces 400w rms @ 4 ohms, you get 800w

Your amp is not capbale of 2 ohm mono, so disregard it, it is there to show you how ohms relate to power output. Your sub, the Rockford 8 ohm that you have is the first example, thus it is not a good match to the amp. To get the most from the amp, you connect the + speaker lead from the sub to the + bridged output on the amp, then do the same for the negative speaker lead. Usually the amp has markings on it to show the bridged terminals, does your amp have these markings? And are you going to return the sub for a 4 ohm version? this would be your best bet.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
Rob is correct, you will only be using about half the capability of this amp, but the sub you list is rated for 200 watts RMS, so it will receive exactly the max power it needs and you will realize the max the sub is capable of.  I'd still try it and see if you like it....
dontnojack 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
I was just going to say that.  My sub is only rated at 200 watts RMS, so it should actually work fine.  I will try it and if I'm not happy I should be able to make something else work thanks to you guys.  I really do appreciate the help you are giving me, and the other potential viewers that may find this post in a search.  I am usually on a forum for boats or snowmobiles, and had no idea that there was a car audio one like this.  Thanks GOOGLE!  Thanks again.  Justin
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic