icon

location of amps in boat! any suggestion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dontnojack 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
Now that I have my system figured out, I need to know where to locate the amps to keep them cool. I have a 22 foot open bow VIP boat, with a 350 mag. My main concern is trying to locate the amps to keep them cool, and yet have them close to the ground, which in a boat is the neg. terminal on the battery. Unfortunately, this is in the HOT engine compartment, with no ventilation. If I put them under the console, the ground wire will too long. (about 10 ft.) There is a ground I believe on the fuse panel, that would go to the battery, but I don't know if this would do or not. The fuse panel is under the drivers console. I thought about putting my sub enclosure under my engine hatch because it is out of the way and I have plenty of storage room on the sides of the engine itself. (probably about a 2 1/2' by
3 1/2' by 2 1/2' area on each side of the engine) When I stop at the beach, I always lift the hatch to cool the motor anyway, and that is where we listen to most of our music. Will the base travel through the hatch pretty decent while at an idle with the hatch down? Thanks again.   Justin.
walty220 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
Personally, I wouldnt go with puttin the sub in the engine compartment, not a smart idea. The ground doesnt need to be off the (-) terminal, maybe so on a boat because there isnt a metal chassis like a car has. Yor fuse panel ground will be sufficient in my view. As for yur sub placement let these guys help, I dont want to steer you down the wrong path.
1983 Oldsmobile Hurst/Olds
--------------
Pioneer Premier DEH-P360
KICKER K35 & K410 Speakers
KICKER KX150.4 Amplifier
Rockford Fosgate PUNCH 1200W Amplifier
Rockford Fosgate PUNCH 800W 12" HE2
dontnojack 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
I would also think that the fuse panel would be good enough as long as the ground cable is the same gauge as the hot wire. I am thinking of putting the amps on the side carpeted wall under the console. It will be out of the sun, and water and it should get plenty of air. I'm still unsure of where to put the sub though.
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2004 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

dontnojack wrote:
I would also think that the fuse panel would be good enough as long as the ground cable is the same gauge as the hot wire.

If it's the same size that may be fine as long as the other existing boat circuits sharing that ground are not being used. If you are using the boat equipment that is on that factory ground cable and then use the stereo this cable will not be large enough and limit or effect how things work.

One thing I also found out on boats that pound in and out of the water is that any components inside of the amp that are not securely fastened down (like the big capacitors) will  flex back and forth until the leads on them break off (just like the old hanger trick, bend it back and forth enough and it will break apart). Take the amp cover of and see it you can wiggle any of the components around on the circuit board. If so, add some silicone to them on their insulated area's and to something else close by to lock them down. Let the glue dry a few days before powering the amp up (silicone when it's wet conducts electricity more readily).

Jim/Saint Louis

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
iairj84 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
Hey man, i dont know about your boat or your location, but i had a buddy of mine who put his amps under the seats, that worked pretty well and was a shaded spot and out of the way of water and moving hands and feet... Just a thought
dontnojack 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  
should I just run a 10 foot long 8 gauge ground directly to the battery then? That wouldn't be a problem at all if it would work better than using the fuse block. What does everyone else think of putting the sub in the engine compartment. It is where we put our big cooler and kids toys etc...The 2 compartments beside the engine are seperated by a netting is all. It doesn't get so hot that it melts the ice in my beer cooler too fast. Not much hotter than sitting in the sun. My seats are captains chairs and the others are all fixed or used as a hing door compartment. Any other boaters????
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  

Running a ground cable to the fuse box would be the same as using the fuse box except you wont have to rely on the fuse box's ground cable. I don't think the heat in the engine compartment should hurt the subs(as long as they are ones like the marine Kicker subs)because they are made to be outside in the heat. If you are using two amps make sure to run the same gauge ground cable as your power cable(both should probobly be 4 gauge). So go ahead an put your amp or amps under the console and use a seperate ground cable. I think it should work fine. Post back if it dosn't and we can try to help you.location of amps in boat!  any suggestion -- posted image.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
Correct, I would also run a new ground wire direct to the battery, there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing this, be it a boat or a Corvette or any vehicle with a really high resistance on the ground return that refuses to co-operate.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Kayak Jones 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  

I have a mariah 222 open bow. Both amps are under the drivers console, out of the weather but exposed to plenty of air circulation. The ground is run to the console but it will work just fine if you run a wire to the batt.  Inside the hatch is not optimal for either amp or subs, and in reality, I just would not do it. my subs are under, and on either side of the rear seat which runs  the width of the boat. What used to be storage on either side of the seat has now become custom boxes. They fire up, are protected from sun and water, and modifications (just a very small amount of 1/2" plywood) were made to make sepearte enclosures for each sub.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
If you mount the amp in the engine compartment you could always use fans on the amp to cool it
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic