icon

Capacitors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

When it comes to caps i am eirie of getting one because i know what they do if they blow...good bye parking lot!

Neways, are there any particular companys known to produce quality caps, and are there any that i should stay away from? Im looking for a 1 to 1.5 farad.

I am looking at stinger, but i want to hear other opinions on this one...straight up, caps scare the sh*t out of me.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
Caps should scare the crap out of you, if they are connected wrong or installed in an unsafe manner, bad things can happen. Most caps that are name brand are all made by one or two companies. They are then "branded" at a Rockford Corporation factory for most companies. There has been a number of companies who are bringing in no name brands and we have experimented with some of them, buy the better manufactured name brand like Lighting, Rockford, Phoenix, Stinger, EFX etc.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
elv1d1 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  

I agree captain.  Listen to the man.  Do not cheap out on the cap.  First one I ever did was a cheap one for a friend.  Who needs directions, I can just think it up and whoomp there it is.  Connected it up basackwards and it blew all over everything.  Years later a youngster jumped in on an install that was not for him.  Rockford 1 farad connected both sides to positive and walked off.  Long story short no problem.  That cap is still working.  But then from a product like that I would expect nothing less.

the Finn 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
In addition to Rob's list, look at the Streetwires caps. Great stuff, all of them though. Stinger's got more "cool" factor on thiers, with lights and aluminum accents and that. Both great though.
~Cory
Car Concepts SLC
Alpine F#1Status Certified
devilsquid 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
i dont care about the 'cool' factor...i want a dependable cap! for a reasonable price...ive seen the stingers one farad for about 80 bucks on ebay...also they would match all the rest of my installation gear...thats why i mentioned them...
MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  

What the heck are you guys talking about? Blowing up? Why would they blow up? I have a kind of cheap ($180) 3 Farad Voodoo (they have a website) and I'm not stupid enough to hook it up wrong or not follow the charge and discharge sequence. I pound like crazy and it has never failed. I am not worried about it either.

FORBIDDEN? WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS? It sounds pretty far fetched. I've been to many shows and know many people with all kinds of caps, and nobody has ever had a problem. Especially not blowin up a parking lot.

A

boom, boom, boom boom....
the Finn 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  

Any of the ones mentioned will work fine. They pretty much all come from the same place, so they all work about the same and shouldn't give you any trouble. 80 bucks is not too bad, although it's not hard to find them at a store for about 100 bucks with a warranty. 90 days, but still more than eBay will offer. Either way . . .

One for the road: I like the Streetwires myself. Lower ESR than the other guys means faster charge/discharge!

PSC241D 220.00 retail and worth it!

Just a thought . . .

~Cory
Car Concepts SLC
devilsquid 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2004 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
do i need that much of a cap, though...i will be running a yellow top to a 1500.1 and a 500.4 Viper amp...Do i really need a 220 dollar cap?  BTW -  if they all come from one place, then who makes them?  Rockford?  Stinger?  Who is the manufactor?
the Finn 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  

I think the manufacturer is called American Connection, but I really don't know for sure. They are owned by Rockford Corp., as Rob said, but they build for almost everybody. Streetwires is now owned by Mitek (as in MTX) but they used to be owned by Esoteric and they built their own stuff top to bottom. I think they are still their own build, but again I am not sure. Anybody out there back me up here?

"Need" is very hard one to answer. The 12 volt business by it's very nature is a luxury commodity; nothing we sell or make is a need, at least not for basic human survival. So the question isn't do you need that much cap, the real question is: Do you want all the power your amps can supply, moreoever all the power you paid for? If so, then a good capacitor is just what the doctor ordered. And if you are going to get a good cap, spend a little extra and get a really good one. You already spent a load of money for stuff you don't "need"; you almost owe it to that equipment to give them what they most desperately do need: power. And yes, for amps, that's a need.

I hope that answers your questions.

~Cory
Car Concepts SLC
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
What you really need is a 220$ high output alternator not a 220$ cap. Look into getting a new alternator before a cap.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic