icon

Capacitors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
ive got 105 amp now...do you think i should go higher?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  

To answer the question as to what I think about it, is simple and I stated it earlier. A cap that is installed in an unsafe manner is an accident waiting for a place to happen. It is a loose object in an accident, and it may come in direct contact with metal in an accident. Most people do not consider this scenario, but they should as accidents happen to averyone. Nothing worse than having to buy a new cap because the old one shorted out and self destructed, soupled with the damage it may haver caused to the vehicle.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
I have a cap story too. My voltage regulator went out on my alt. Blew my STINGER cap to smitherines. Plus I almost $hit myself when it went off. talk about boom. I have run Boss caps with no problems. I now run a batcap it's a 400 amp batt and a 6 farad cap. it works well. Just remember that you need a good alt first. 200amp at least. 100 or 125 amps for your system and the rest for your car. headilghts, a/c, elc windows powerseats, rear window defroster, etc, etc, etc........... your amps need plenty of juices to run and a cap will help just need that good alt first. FOLLOW all directions to the letter.
Big Dave
MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

What I want to know is what is the damage that is done to the vehicle??? I thought they were dry cell? Is there acid in there? Thats why I am asking.

Mine is completely hosed in its own heavy duty MDF compartment in my custom amp rack. Its isolated from other components so even if it blew up it would not do much.

boom, boom, boom boom....
MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
I meant housed not hosed
boom, boom, boom boom....
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
If a cap is touched to bare metal of a vehicle it will dead short, read smoke, sparks and noise and in rare circumstances a fire if their is combustible materials present. It may damage a computer circuit in the same fashion that a ac voltage spike may damage a computer or satellite receiver.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
fordOndubs 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  

devilsquid wrote:
ive got 105 amp now...do you think i should go higher?

Yes. I would go with at least a 200 amp alternator before buying any caps. The only caps I would even consider would be bat caps. Caps are not doing anything but being a band aid for the problem.

Josh

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2004 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  

From what I have heard is that caps dont EXPLODE, they simply discharge(at least the ones I know of do). Look at the specs on this Lightning Audio LS10-03 cap. IT dosnt say anything about the cap exploding, it even alerts you if you have it wired backwards. And if you're worried about it flying around the car its like any other peice of loose car audio equipment, its going to fly unless you have it properly secured. As long as you don't buy some super cheap off-brand cap off the net you should be fine. I like Stinger and Streetwires.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic