icon

Alternator or Battery?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sohx 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2004 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry Rob, no I haven't checked the resistance I have a DMM how do you do that? They should be on tight since I just put the new side post in when I bought the new battery less than a month ago. I was starting to think maybe it is a groud issue. But where would it be. I know the ground to the amp should be alright I checked in multiple locations in the back to find a good ground. Yes I also made sure the metal was exposed well by sand papering the surface. Is there any car wiring (ground) that could be shorting out? That might be the case. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2004 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  

If the amp is mounted to metal, unmount it and place it on a piece of cardboard, does it still work?

To check the ground return resistance, unplug the ground wire from the amp and rest the bare end on the cardboard, do not allow it to touch metal or your hands when you go to do this test, it will throw the reading out the window. Take your meter and set it to read resistance. Ground 1 side of the meter to the - terminal on the battery. Take the other probe and attach it to the ground wire from the amp, if the leads are not long enough, use a length of wire as an extension cable. What is the reading?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
sohx 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the answer Rob. Sorry I took so long to respond. I'll have to try measuring that tommarrow.  I'll let you know what's up. I really think you're on to something.

Here's one thing. I have a ground wire going straight from the chasis to the amp. Should I connect the probe on the end where the car chasis is?  While it's on or off the car chassis should I test it? Thanks alot man

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
you are checking the resistance of the ground wire connection and ground point, you should measure from the amp end of the ground cable.   the lower the resistance, the better... for obvious reasons.    if it's a high resistance.... try sanding some more or even grounding to a different point......   for example, in my car, i drilled a hole through the trunk floor and ran the cable through a grommet in the floor to the underside of the car where i tapped a new hole directly in the frame, i then wire-wheeled this until it was bare steel and then grounded to this point.... this may be a little overkill but I am dead sure that my  ground is absolutly PERFECT.   Also upgrading the main ground wires in the car may have a vast effect.   EG. if the ground from the battery to the chassis is 8 guage, you might as well just use an 8 guage ground wire on your amp, that's all your gonna get, a chain is as strong as it's weakest link.   your ground on the battery should match the total amount of current (or guage) of power wire connected to your + lead. Also on that note... the alternator ground is equally as important, when your car is running, your battery is just a distribution block (car guys: i know it smooths the power and sh*t too. don't flame me.)
sohx 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2004 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, I just made a huge deal out of something that was simple. The guy who checked out my amp told me there was nothing wrong with it. Later on after I had replaced my alternator and battery I thought. I am going to double check and see if it's the amp again. The guy said it's now not working. I was like..... what the @#$%..... anyways I'm looking into having it repaired or replaced. I think that's the problem now. Shiiiiiz well, thanks for all of your help guys. I'm sure now my cables have the best possible connection I can have with it now. Take it easy .... I'll post back if the amp really isn't the fix. I'm about 90% sure that's the case.
superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
get a new alternator
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.