icon

Low Budget Sub-Amp combos?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
s7726 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  

I am interested in getting a Sub and an amp to provide bass (what else). I don't have a very high budget looking $200 range. For right now i just need a sub amp and a box for the sub. I would like eventually to build a custom fiberglass enclosure/amp rack so i would like if the amp and sub looked decesnt. I would like to match the brand on the sub and amp if possible.

I have a pioneer HU, with preouts for F/R/Sub so getting the amp a signal should not be a problem. I have heard that pioneer's stuff kinda sucks for subs (don't want any flames about it but i am open to new opinions).
Ok so i'm looking for any and all sugestions on what to go for (models numbers would help a lot). as far as the size of the sub i would love a 12, two 12s would be awsome, but again i'm not sure it fits in the budget. my car is a sedan if that matters to the type of enclosure also. I would like to stear clear of used equipment, what i have seen of used subs and amps has usually been through it's pases and beat on prety well (not necisarily cosmeticly).

Thanks in advance,

Gavin S.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
I run 4 pioneer 12's in my car and I hit 146db. I also placed 2nd in two different sq  compitions last year using the same subs and pioneer rev commponents so I think there stuff is just fine and dandy. The subs a re like 100 bucks a piece CND so in the states the must be fairly affordable. Just make sure the box you use is built a little bigger than what pioneer specs and make it ported since you lower budget is going to suggest the amp you get probally will be slightly smaller than ideal so a ported box is going to be more efficent as a general rule of thumb.
s7726 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the advise.

Are you running Pioneer amps as well as subs?

Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  
No I am using an old school HCCA Orion 425. Check out the new pioneer amps iff you wanna stay witht the same brands. I cant say enough that you need to use an efficient box design if you go witht these subs cause they do like the power.
brad123 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

I have some kicker subs and amps.  I can give you 1 Kicker comp 12 and a rockford 201S amp (600max)  100RMS per channel for 150.  For a second 12 I can give it to you for 55.  It woud be about 15 to 20 dollars shipping.  So for 2 12's and amp and shipping you are looking at about 225.  For the 1 12 and amp about 170.  the subs hold 150 RMS so they will sound good but wont be running them to hard.

Brad

Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
Thats a good deal. Id Jump on that because it seems to meet all your requirements and would sound quite good.
s7726 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
is the rockford stuff your talking about used, newly purchased, new in box, etc. ?
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  

Don't even think about pioneer speakers or subs. Try using a JL W0 12" or 15" sub (the 12" is about $130 but you can find em on sale for much less). Then use a rockford amp like the one brad123 is selling and you would have an aseome combo. I have this sub and love it. You would come out around your budget and have great sound!!

s7726 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  

are there any JL amps that would power it and be anywhere near my budget?

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  

No most of the JL amps would be more then your total budget. Using the Rockford Fosgate amp would be fine. Its ok to match amps and subs.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic