Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
i have the following in my vehicle:
Alpine Head unit 9811
Alpine Amp   V12 MRV-F540 for the 4 speakers
Alpine MRD-M500 for the sub and
two Alpine SBR-122CR subwoofer boxes preloaded wtih
SWR-1241D dual coil speakers each. I used Streetwires high quality cables for the RCA's.
I still don't like my sound from the subs. I tried tuning both the amps and the head unit. Volume is more than I need but as far as SQ, I am not too impressed and quite dissapointed with the sound from my subs. I sacrificed losing my trunk space for the two subs, yet feel like I failed my goal of super sound quality that I was hoping.
As for power, I have a 130Amp heavy duty alternator. I also have a 1 Farad capacitor. I tried with and without the capacitor and even exchanged the capacitor thinking that it might be defective. The lights do not dim at all when I play music or turn up the volume. So I know its not the power. Also since the MRD-M500 can work at 2 ohms and 4 ohms with peak performance at 2 ohms, I tried using one sub with coils in parallel to achieve 2 ohms. Still no luck.
What could I be doing wrong and what can I do to check this setup? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

Try listening to Alpine's type R line of subs instead. You could buy two 10" subs and your amp would still be able to handle them.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  

It may be the case that the box's just don't match your vehicle.  See if you can try a buddys box or see if your store will let you do a test.  I could just be the box.

You definately have a sweet setup there tho.

markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2004 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
I will go to Circuit city this weekend and check some boxes then. And the type R if they let me test it.
thanks.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  
I found the same thing when I put an Alpine head unit in my car. I was running a pioneer head and when I replaced it with an alpine I found that my subs turned to crap. I wasnt at all impressed with the way the deck processed the sub channel. I found that it gives the subs a shallow hollow sound. Just my opinion but Id try a different head unit and see if you like that better. If you dont want a different head unit you can try using an audio control 3.1 or some other type of preamp. That will also impact the way your subs sound, probally for the better.
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 4:05 AM / IP Logged  

customsuburb arent the subs he has already the type R?

Quad L Handyman services
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
Yea, those are Alpine 12" type R subs.  Alpine Guy is probably right on.  If you are getting good SPL but unacceptable SQ, it is probably the enclosure or the positioning in the vehicle or both.  Those enclosures are ported and designed only for SPL, by the way.  They come pre-loaded with the sub you mention.  Maybe they simply are not the right choice for your needs.  You'd get far superior SQ results with a pro0perly designed sealed system or with, say, an Eclpise 10" Aluminum. 
markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
yes they are type R indeed. and they are 12". I didn't realise that/was absent minded earlier. I went home and checked it last night. this is what I got:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4gHrAW99ZsV/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=67700&I=500SWR1241&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N
DYohn, what is SPL mean? sorry I don't know.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry i read model number wrong. SPL systems usually play loud and dont really have a lot of sound quality like you would want. A sound quality system usually dosn't play as loud as an spl system would but gives you better sound quality. I would definitely try putting those subs in a good sealed box and see if you like them better.

ravendart

Maybe you were just used to the Pioneer head unit's crappy equalization features.

markcars 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the info on SPL. I like to learn something new everyday.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic