A piller covers with side curtain airbags

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
NismaX 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
Am I the only installer having problems removing A piller covers on some of the new VW's, Toyota's, Lexus's and such. I do realize these covers should be on so they don't fly off when the air bag deploys but to make it so they don't come off without damaging them is ridiculous. I'd like to make sure mic and antenna wires I run don't interfere with the operation of the airbags. I think some of these engineers of cars should have to work on these from the point of installation or maintenance. They might then think of better designs.
Jon
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2004 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
In general yes they seem to be making them fit tight as ever mainly in cars with air bags running near them. I agreee with wanting to make sure the wires don't interfere.. Nobody wants to be liable for someone getting injured because our carelessly run tv wires or something didn't let the airbag deploy correctly. I always try and find whatever way the factory wires are run and piggyback them..
A piller covers with side curtain airbags -- posted image.
Just recently had fun trying to get one off of a Navigator.. As if the two bolts weren't enough they had to add a push clip way down where you can't get any leverage to pop it. Could've been worse I guess.. Oh and the pic above is from a Toyota Sienna by the way.
"from the point of installation or maintenance."
The point is they don't want us working on them A piller covers with side curtain airbags -- posted image.
Good luck,
Mike
itmdtr 
Copper - Posts: 131
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2004 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  

I work for a Lexus dealer (technician) and the A-pillars on the new Lexus's are so hard to come off, even I cant remove them. (And I'm following the Service Manual).

(The RX330) they have a clip so when the side airbag deploys the a-pilar panel pops out. I stick a screwdriver in the clip and eventually it pops out. (I hope I don't accidentally poke a hole into the airbag.

itmdtr
BubbasHouse 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  

Air bags already have holes in them.  Really big holes.

Buy one off ebay for less than $25 shipped and set it off.... 12v positive and ground the other wire.  it's fun.  I place them in a vice....a little safer that way.

The holes are to let the air out.  the bag deploys, is inflated, and deflates before the crash is over.  So fast you need a high speed camera to see it.

BubbasHouse 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
oh yeah... the dust stinks, and don't set it off without hearing protection.
Don't say; "I don't know.". Say; "I haven't learned that yet.".

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic