icon

Subs/Amp ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nbahoopstar 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2004 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
I have a JBL 1200.1 that is getting 14V and 4V through the RCA connections, and all fuses have tested good and all lights indicate that it is powered up however I don't get any sound from the 2 subs that are each wired individually from the terminals on the amp to each speaker. My deck is an Eclipse 8443 Brand new. I connected the RCAs to the Non-fading set of RCA connectors on the rear of the deck. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why there isn't any audio from the subs? I did test the Subs connected to another system and checked continnuity also. Also the amp's inputs say front and rear if that matters. I tried connecting the single set of RCAs to each one according to it's channel color coded connectors and still nothing. Any suggestions???
Loud Subwoofers only, do not make a quality car audio system, especially when they are worth more than your "car"
devilsquid 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2004 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
does your deck have the option to turn off the subs?  if so, have you checked this...also, does it have an option to control the level of output to the subs...if so, is it turned up? 
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
How do you have them wired to the channels, and what are the subs (ohms and VC type)? Remember the BP1200.1 is a mono amp, even though there are 2 physical channels (they are internally bridged to make 1 channel).
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
nbahoopstar 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
They are (2)10" M5 Diamond 101.8. I believe they are SVC and 8 Ohm ea. Funny thing I just tested the ohms when connected and the meter read 12 ohms each when power was on. It doesn't make any sense to me...?? They are each wired directly to their own set of outputs on the JBL 1200.1. UGGHHHH!
Loud Subwoofers only, do not make a quality car audio system, especially when they are worth more than your "car"
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
If they're 8ohm SVC subs, and each is wired to it's own channel, then you're presenting 4ohm total load. Not much for that amp (the JBL BP1200.1). Because of the internal bridge, the way you have them wired is the same as wiring them in parallel (and two 8ohm subs wired in parallel equates to a 4ohm total load).
At 4ohms, your getting a max of 600 watts total power, or 300 watts per sub.
Something doesn't sound right with that reading of 12 ohms. Try hooking both speakers up to only 1 channel at the same time (you get the same effect with that amp as using both channels so no worries there, remember it's a mono amp) and take the reading again.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
nbahoopstar 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2004 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
The right set of speaker terminals at the amp are reading (negative 18.0 volts) and the left set of speaker terminals at the amp are reading positive 18 volts according to my digital meter. I don't understand why. Is this contributing to why I don't have any audio from the subs. BTW I removed the subs and checked all connections from speakers through box. Any suggestions???
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2004 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  

Plug the rca's into the front rca output and see if the amp comes alive, it's alive, it,'s alive, hopefully anyhow. This may tell us if it an amp problem or cd player problem. Do not meter the subs resistance with the wires still hooked to the amp, it will throw the reading out the window.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
nbahoopstar 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2004 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
I have tried plugging the RCAs into both sets front and rear with no luck. I metered the RCAs coming in to the amp and they were 4 volts. I measured the resistance at the speaker terminals of the amp WITHOUT the subs connected at all and got the reading above.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2004 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
This may seem obvious, but is the amp getting a remote on signal?
nbahoopstar 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2004 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it is.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic