icon

I Need a Critique of my Planned System

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Squalyone 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  

Okay I am looking at installing a new sound system into my 94 Ford Probe. Since its not that great of a car, I decided I want to get a very nice sound system to make up for it. I am looking at putting a Rockford Fosgate Punch 301X 900 Watt Amp onto my four car speakers (Kenwood Aftermarket speakers) Then I am going to connect Two Rockford Fosgate RFD2212 12" HX2 Subs at 2000 Watts Max. Power to a Rockford Fosgate 801 2,400 Watt Amp. The Subs will be housed in a  Q-Logic QB-212.3 Duel 12" Bandpass Box. I am also looking for any information on a special Music Car Battery (if that exists) Any information or suggestions on my plan would be extremely helpful. Thankz.

speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  
it sounds ok, but you may no like the band pass box. You may like them, and if you do don't let me talk you out of it. I don't like them they can be real loud, but to me they just don't sound that great. I like a sealed box. I think they just play more tones than band pass. look up band pass boxes on this site and read all about them then make up your mind. As for the batt yes there is a "music car battery" stinger makes a good batt, lighting audio does and batcap makes a awsome batt too. be prepaired to spend a few bucks on one. you will want a good alt too. 150amp should work good for you. good luck!
Big Dave
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
also optima yellow tops, although ive been told they arent as good as they used to be, but you will definately want to upgrade your alt. with your sound system.
Quad L Handyman services
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
I hope you're ready for some critisism (constructive that is)
First... When you're dealing with subs, you want to work with the RMS rating, not the Peak rating. The RFD2212 Punch HX2's are 4ohm DVC's rated 500RMS 1000Peak. These are good subs (I'm running 2 RFD2112's, the 2ohm model). But if you design your system based on the Peak rating, you'll blow your subs in a heartbeat.
Second... When you're dealing with amps, you want to again look at the RMS output, not the Peak output. You'll never hit the "max" power of an amp. Companies run the amps until they melt and at ungodly input voltage and amperage (usually based on a 14.4 volt system, not a standard 12 volt system). The "max" rating comes right before the amp blows up. So by no means should you expect "2,400 watts" from that RF Punch 801S.
Third... Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of RF subs and amps. But you improperly matched your subs to an inferior amp. The Punch 801S is a 2-Channel Class AB amp rated 400x2@2ohms stereo and 800x1@4ohms mono/bridged. Since your subs are 500 watts RMS, and the most you could send them with your amp is 400 watts, you'll be underpowering them. That means you'll probably end up cranking the gains to get more output (which is severly incorrect) and cause the amp to clip and fry damaging the amp and possibly your subs. You really need a Class-D Mono amp rated 1000x1@1ohm (like the JBL BP1200.1 which is 1200x1@1ohm) or a different Class-AB 2-channel amp rated 500x2@2ohms stereo or 1000x1@4ohms mono/bridged. You should really try to use a Class D Mono amp for subs, you get more bang for the buck than you would using a Class AB Multi-channel amp that is designed to run internal speakers.
Finally... I'm not a fan of bandpass boxes by any means. Those subs will perform better out of a small sealed enclosure or a properly tuned ported enclosure. I've blown bandpass boxes apart with less wattage then you'll be running. IMO, they're junk. I've run systems in my old '90 Probe and '97 Probe and the best sounding systems came from small sealed enclosures. And yes, I ran sealed, ported, and bandpass enclosures in both vehicles.
I'm not trying to blast you dude, but you asked for a critique I Need a Critique of my Planned System -- posted image.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
ksin291 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
I second wvsquirel on his feelings toward bandpass boxes, yeah they look cool but so many notes don't get reproduced what ends up happening is your music sounds like crap. Look at a sealed box or a properly tuned ported box and definetly think about getting it built specifically for the subs that you end up buying as this will always give you better results. Also look at rms ratings and not "max" ratings when matching amps to subs or vice versa.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
I agree 100% with wvsquirrel and will add this:  Are you using the Kenwood speakers as your mains because you really, really like their sound?  I ask because I personally feel they suck quite badly.  There are much better sounding mains than Kenwoods out there... but hey, if you like the way they sound, then go for it.  Just be VERY careful not to overpower them (RMS rating) because they blow like 1/2 amp fuses....
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2004 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
Oh yeah you guys, just cus I'm not around to post much right now (did more business in two days than the entire month of January) doesn't mean I won't agree with what squirrel and Dyohn have already mentioned. Do a little more research into your equipment again and the end result will probably be much better for your investment.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Squalyone 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 1:40 AM / IP Logged  

Okay, I'm starting to get an idea of what I need here. My budget will probably be around $2000. I have SEVERELY rethought my bandpass box, with the tremendous outcry of everyone saying no, I'm looking into a ported or sealed box, any suggestion there? I checked into the Optima Yellow Top battery and they seem good, but I only glanced at it for a second. To clear this up, the Kenwoods in my car were not my choice, both the front and rear speakers were gifts. Replacement Suggestions? I'm VERY new at this car audio thing and am taking any info I can get. Be brutal about critiqing my system, I really dont mind, I'm hoping to get the most for my money and blow everyone else off the road with my system, Any constructive Critism is very much appreciated. I've also been hearing that I should rethink the amp in terms of not enough power for the subs, I need to find something with more power, what would be recommended for this? Also with the subs I am open to any suggestions on other brands/models, I am looking at a system with around 1000 Watt RMS in the subs. I am willing to be talked out of the brand names I wrote earlier For the speakers I dont care Wattage I just care about sound quality. Thankz for the help it is very appreciated and I hope with all the info I'm getting, I can make the best system possibe with the $ I got.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
Take it a step at a time, you can always use the parts of the system that you have now and upgrade them later on. It is better to sacrifice rather than compromise. Ignore wattage claims, this will not tell you how loud something will play. Are you more interested in SQ or SPL? The amp must match the needs of the sub and box, these 3 things go hand in hand. Choose the sub and it will dictate the box and the amp. A probe sounds great with a pair of 12's in either a sealed or ported enclosure. What bands do you have access to where you are? i am only here for a little while longer, we're working late on a vehicle, it's 11:30 pm right now.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Squalyone 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  
I am looking for a system more with a SPL sound. I still dont know for sure the subs I want to go with I'm open for any suggestions. I dont understand this question (I'm kinda new at this) "What bands do you have access to where you are?"
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic