icon

Pioneer AVIC-80 GPS tracking?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gtpsrock 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 2:22 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, I have the AVIC80 hooked up to my 6500DVD.
Question:
The owners manual says that with the tracking turned on, that it will display different colors for different speeds. Mine just shows white dots at any speed. This is from the AVIC-80 manual:
"When your car speed is under 3mph, the dots are red. When your car speed is more than 3mph, but less than 12mph, tracking shows in orange dots."
Ok, does anyones' actually do this, because mine sure doesn't... urghh...
Any comment would be appreciated.
Paul
Pontiac GP-GTP
Dragorus 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
Well mine does not either......I called pioneer and one tech told me it was a typo.......Makes sense because the speed sense displays pulses and not by speed.....so the navi does not know your speed........if you go into the info panel in the touch screen version and go to where it lists your connection status you will see it shows speed pulses and not MPH when you drive..........also it can not accurately determine speed because every car has a different VSS in that my suv has a slower speed pulse than my wifes nissan ......The speed pulse is mainly used to tell the unit you are moving...when you add the reverse wire to the system it now tells you your going reverse.....so the speed pulse tells it    "hey i'm moving".........and when it sees speed pulse & reverse signal it tells it "hey I'm going reverse"........now give it satellites and it updates via sat. every second or so......use the sat. with the speed pulses to triangulate your movement....in other words your position on the map is mainly updated via satelite....NOT speed pulse.....when the unit really relies on speed pulse is when you hit a tunnel or go through mountains or anywhere it can not get a sat. signal........I hope this helps clarify this for you.......but whether or not it should show different colors is unknown because Mine is always white......And I get diff. answers at pioneer.....So I just rely on my personal knowledge of NAV. to explain why it may not be multi colored due to speed.......I have been an installer for over 10 years and am MECP Certified and taking my MECP Master exam this summer.....
gtpsrock 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm, thanks for the note. Thats cool that you talked to Pioneer about it.
On the other hand, on mine when you go to the settings-> connection status, it does say how fast you are going (in MPH) as well as the speed pulse. From what I have read, you are right by saying different cars have different pulse rates. I read that there are several different rates. My car (Pontiac Grand Prix) happens to be 4,000 pulses per mile.
So, I think that the nav unit relies quite a bit on the speed pulse from the car to determine how fast you are going, not just to let it know that you are moving. If it were there to just tell it that you were moving, I imagine it wouldn't really care how many pulses per mile you are going but would be more of an on/off (moving/not moving) signal.
Well, I probably just confused everyone... Thanks again for answering my first question.
Cheers,
Paul
Dragorus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
Sweet....I am going to have too look into this MPH more......Was never an issue before.....Also do you notice that if you manually set your position that the nav resets your position after driving......I moved my icon up like 50 feet in the menu there is an option to manually set your position.....so it appeared I was closer to the street corner then went around the block and it was reset to what it thinks I was at.....I didn't notice the MPH in the menu I will check tomorrow and get back to you.....You got me in test mode now :)..I am super curious to learn this MPH Vs. pulse thing.....
gtpsrock 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2004 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
Awesome! Glad we could both learn something.
Thats funny about the repostioning thing. I've seen it and read about it in the manual, but I've never tried it. It seems to almost always be really close. I haven't wanted to try it thinking I might screw something up... doh!
Yah, about the MPH thing. I think its pretty small where it shows it. I believe it is right by the 'g' force meter thing-a-ma-bob. It seems to be super accurate. If I'm cruising down the freeway with the cruise on, and hit coast, it will usually show the 1mph drop on the Nav unit. I guess it has to be as accurate as the speedo in your car since that probably the same wire that your cars speedo uses.
Though... this is sweet... I've got different size tires on my car than stock, so my factory speedo is off (it shows about 4-5mph fast @80mph). BUT.... The nav unit "learns" using GPS compared to your speed pulse. So the speed on the nav is right! killer beans eh?
let me know if you find (or can't find) where the speed is displayed and what you think.
take care!
Paul
gtpsrock 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 1:29 AM / IP Logged  
durr...
>on mine when you go to the settings-> connection status, it does say how fast you are going (in MPH)
That should have wrote that it is in the "information" menu under "3D status" I believe. Sorry.
Dragorus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  
Have you memmorized the extensive voice commands yet?....Insane....I even programmed some voice for stored addresse...thats the part thats cool....after you program it you just say the destinatioin.....Like saying return home....you can make it say anything you want like eat me or whatever lol....VERY cool...I think it will remember over 100 voice addresses
Dragorus 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 7:50 AM / IP Logged  
Also you can not beat putting up your own picture backgrounds....I use a Dazzle 4-in-1 card reader and use a 32 megabyte memmory card
gtpsrock 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2004 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
Ha! yah, the voice stuff is pretty cool. I put one in there that was "you wanna make out?" and the destination was a popular place where people go and well... you know.. lol!
yah, the custom backgrounds rule. I picked up a cheap CompUSA compact flash cardbus (pcmcia) reader thing, and a 32MB compact flash card. I had no idea if it would work, but it sure did. Nice to be able to back up your address book too.
jdaxx 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2004 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  

First post ... I have a quick  ? on avic80 (combined w/7500dvd) does this unit display the elevation? After reading seems like it really does not show the mph as part of the screen or map.....

thanks jim

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic