icon

subs don't always work

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
I Am 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  
sometimes my subs don't work.... they cut out.......and when I turn my bass on my deck up they kickin in and then they cut out again......
pioneer86 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  
I've never had that problem before, but one thing I would check would be the wiring.  Make sure nothing is shorted out, and you have thick enough wiring to support what you're trying to do.  You might also have a bad ground to your amp.
netboy 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 3:08 AM / IP Logged  
amp overheating then cooling down and firing up again?
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Diamond audio M3 5.25 components
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
97neon 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  
your probably clipping the amp, amps probably not enogh power for the subs, whats brand of subs and amp, and what are the model numbers? your gains are probably to high
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  
Clipping, yes.  Not enough power?  No.  Gain problem?  Most likely.  You have the input gain on your amp set too high and the amp is going into protection.  OR, you have too low an impedence load on the amp.  What is your setup?
I Am 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
kenwood kfc-w3005.........and a kicker kx150.2......
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  

OK.  That sub is a DVC 4-ohm speaker, which means you can wire it either at 2 ohms or 8 ohms.  The amp is capable of being bridged, but into no less than a 4-ohm load.  So if you have the sub wired for 2-ohms (both voice coils in parallel) and have that bridged to your amp, you are overloading the amp and it will cut out.  For this configuration, you must wire the sub at 8-ohms (VCs in series) to the amp.  You will get approximately 75 watts to the amp (peak) with this setup.  This is not a good match.

Is this the same system you are asking about enclosure types on another thread?  If so, what kind of enclosure is it in now?

I Am 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
the specs on the sub say its rated at 4 ohm.... its in a crappy  home made box (not outta mdf) it made outta plywood and it's 3ft by 1.5ft....freakin huge.........
I Am 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
could it be that its cold....I live in northern alberta canada.............
netboy 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2004 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
i dont think that cold would hurt it, maybe heat, but not cold
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Diamond audio M3 5.25 components
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
Page of 2