icon

Stopping Engine noise Interference

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bradsyukno 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  

How does one cut down on the engine noise interference through the speakers.  I heard running the power wire down one side of the vehicle and the RCAs on the opposite will stop a lot of it.  The Interence did not come until I installed an after market cd player.

Help please.

Mr Hexed
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
Any chance that it is a Pioneer that you installed?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bradsyukno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
It is an Alpine CDA-9827 CD/Mp3/Wma Player.  It is pretty damn sweet except I can't stand the F***ing engine noise.
Mr Hexed
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
What amps did you install and where are they grounded to and in what vehicle?
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
unplug your RCA cables, if you lose the engine noise use a ground loop isolator, there are lots out there like Scosche, Lightning, etc.
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
bradsyukno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

I have a sub output / preout on my alpine that runs to a Punch 60ix.  The amp is grounded to the body underneathe the carpet.  I am Driving a Yukon 2003.  I currently have the RCAs for my subs running down the same side as my power wire, should seperate them?  Would that help?

What is a ground loop isolator and where can I research one?

Brad

Houston, TX

Mr Hexed
forbidden 
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
Definitely separate the power / ground cables from the rca cable. Reground the cd player to a new ground point as well. Try this and post up the results. The punch 60 is running a sub correct? And the Alpine cd player is running the factory speakers. If you unplug the rca cable does the noise go away and what speakers does the noise come from. Is this Yukon a Delco Bose system?
bradsyukno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2004 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  

The Yukon has a bose system in it now.   I had the 2-12" subs running off the Factory headunit at first and there was no interference then.  I had a pac converter hooked up to the factory headunit to run my subs.  The interefence only came when I hooked up the Alpine

The Punch Amp is running 2 - 12" subs and the Alpine is running everything else.  I had to install a Bose amp converter in order to install the Alpine.

Mr Hexed
bradsyukno 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
The noise is coming through both my subs.  I re-routed the sub's RCAs on the opposite side from the power and I still have the interference.  When the radio is playing I unplug the RCA for the subs and the interference goes away.  How can I stop the noise from coming through my subs.
Mr Hexed
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
It sounds like you have a bad ground to me on the amp, if I understand you right. The noise is ONLY comming through your subs and it goes away when you unplug the RCA's right. If thats the case than the two easiest fixes are first off try regrounding the amplifier to a clean piece of bare metal. If it still continues try to run a new pair of rca's just over the carpet to the amp and see if that fixes it. If the noise goes away you have a pair of faulty rcas and just replace them.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic