icon

on and off amplifier switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
focuswagon 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
how do i hook up a switch to my amp, from my factory radio. to turn the amp on and off?
stay focusedddddddd!!!!!!!!!
Prophit 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  

Well one method is to tap into the switched power on the back of the factory head unit. Get a light tester and turn the car off then to the on position with the head unit it on. Find the power cable tap into it and there ya go. Your amp will be on as long as your radio is on.

aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  
If you are talking about a switch so you can turn off the amp while the radio is still on, then you can add a switch to the remote wire.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
You could use a switch like this
Prophit 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
Adding switches like that one can be hazardess. What happens if you forget to turn it off.. Dead battery. If you tap into the factory 12v+ switch power wire you dont have to worry about it cause when the radio is off the amp is off.. Makes like alot easier.. no cutting nothing.. just tap it and run your remote. Makes life alot easier
focuswagon 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
thanks to all. i have 1 more question. where can i find the wire diagram for my factory radio harness? so that i can find out which wires in my radios factory harness are speaker wires? i have to connect a line output converter to my factory radio.(it converts my speaker wires into rca jacks) please helppppp!!!!!!
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, of course use the remote turn on lead from behind your radio to run through the switch. That way in case you forget to turn the switch off you won't run down your battery. You really don't need a switch for an amp unless you don't want it on all the time when you are listening to your music (like if you don't want your subs playing). You should really just use the remote turn on lead behind the dash and go directly to your amp with it. This will turn your amp on and off with the radio, defeating the purpose of the seperate switch.
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2004 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
oops, sorry, didn't realize that he was using "factory" radio. Yeah, 12V power to your radio would be the wire to tap into. Did you try looking for the wire diagram on this site? I would, but I'm eating...
focuswagon 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2004 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
i looked for it but didnt find it- aggie.please help
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2004 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
Do as customsuburb says. Use the remote wire from the radio to turn on the amps. Best way. No cutting nor forgetting to turn off and running the risk of a dead battery.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic