wiring up speakers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kaffeene 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, I have a question,.
    I have 2 front speakers and a 6 speaker sound bar (2 tweeters, 2 mids and 2 woofers).  With a total of 8 speakers how would I hook that up to the headunit  (Alpine 9815) which has a built in crossover?  Wouldn't I need 6 channels for the soundbar alone and another 2 for the front speakers?  The H.U. has a 3 way switch for that particular setup consisting of 3 different speakers producing different frequencies.  So I guess they expect you to be able to hook up 6 speakers to the 4 channels on the H.U.?
Help is appreciated Thanks

customsound 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
what type of car would be helpful
kaffeene 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
             Well the type of car is pretty irrelevant.  8 speakers total with an Alpine 9815 H.U..    its a Jeep Wrangler.
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
are you connecting your 9815 HU to an external amp or are you using the internal amp? I have a 9811 but my manual is the same for 9811, 9813 and 9815. It shows that you have only 4 speakers if internal amp is used whereas 5 or 6 speakers if external amp is used, the 2 extra being for the subwoofer outputs.
It looks like your unit has 4 speaker outputs (2 pairs) but you have a switch on the back that will let your HU either work in 2way mode or 3way mode. If you use 3way mode (like what you want) your switch must be in the 3way mode and the same 4 outputs go to 6 speakers. If the speakers have a crossover in them, they will just take the necessary signals, if not you have to adjust your unit accordingly. So the answer to your question is yes 6 speakers to 4 channels.
customsound 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  

kaffeene wrote:
             Well the type of car is pretty irrelevant.  8 speakers total with an Alpine 9815 H.U..    its a Jeep Wrangler.

actually the car makes alot of difference pal! in ur case use the remote to run the factory infinity premium sound, also never question who you are talking to it may be someone that can help you.

Master Certified MECP Professionals of the Midwest

markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
I think customsound got offended. It is just a misunderstanding.
The number of speakers to connect to the HU really depends on the HU's outputs alone (or the amp's output if you have an amp), however the car makes a difference in how you want to place the speakers in order to get the best accoustics you can. So both of you are right.
peace.
Metra Tech 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  
It doesn't matter how many speakers you have hooked up to the radio, it's how they are wired and crossed over that matters. For example in your case,  you have a 3 way setup with low, mid and high. If the soundbar was designed right the crossover would be similar to this, low 20hz-500hz, mid 500hz-3khz, tweet 3khz-20khz. Because everything is crossed over, it shows a 4 ohm load to whatever is driving it. So essentially, you could put 100 speakers on a radio as long as everything is croosed over right, but here's the problem with doing that. Every speaker must still have power going to it. The more speakers you have, the less each get. So for example say you have 60 watts per channel, the low channel takes 35 watts, the mid channel takes 20 watts, the tweets take 5 watts. You would think it would be 20, 20, 20, but the lower the freq. the more power you need. In your application because the soundbar is so close to you, you will be fine. Keep in mind to all who read this that this subject could get very lengthy and I shortened this for simplicity. I know there is lot more to this subject, but there is no more need for confusion.
Prophit 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  

Sounds like hes got a set of components or  a component setup.  Dont they normally come with custom crossovers so all you need is the Standard 2 wire connection then that will break off to 4 wires for you mids and highs? Just a thought.

kaffeene 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  

Well thanks for the input so far.    I dont have the factory Infinity sound system.  Infact the only stock stereo component would be 2 front speakers which will probably be replaced. 

OK so Alpine 9815 using internal amp for now which has 4 channels and using RCA output for subwoofer.  So forget about the sub and accoustics of the vehicle for now.  Front 2 speakers would get 2 channels and rear or midway soundbar would get the other 2.   Using the 3 way switch and bulit in crossover in the head unit how will each set of frequencies know to go to the correct speaker (even if you cross the frequencies over) with out designating them with seperate channels?(tweeter, mid and woofer pairs) So you wouldn't say...... fry your little tweeter.

Second question:  If I was to use say the head unit power for the  6 speaker sound bar which would give me 4 channels now to work with and more power for the  speakers in the soundbar.    Then getting a 2 channel amp for my 2 front dash speakers.  Would that be a good setup and if so It would seem I would need another crossover before the amp to designate the correct frequencies to those 2 speakers unless there is a way that the built in head unit crossover can split frequencies to the pre-amp outputs and the speaker wires.    I am aware that the sub pre-amp output does only spit out lower frequencies.

Help yet again is much appreciated.

P.S. didn't mean to offend about the type of vehicle not mattering but no stock parts paly a role here and although accoustics are very important, I'm not concerned with them as far as my question goes.  

Metra Tech 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
I would put on amp on the front speakers and install aftermarket speakers in there that can handle the power the amp will be putting out and leave the soundbar speakers on the rear speaker outputs of the radio. You almost need an amp and good speakers in Wranglers when it's opened up. Does the radio have a high pass filter built into it? That would be nice when the top is off to protect your speakers.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic