icon

wiring up speakers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kaffeene 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
Yes the H.U. has a high pass / low pass filter and is supposed to provide the correct frequencies to 3 different types of speakers not including the subwoofer.  I'm pretty sure the crossover works out of the speaker channels, not sure if it works out of the pre-amp outputs or maybe both.. If anyone knows about the Alpine 9815 let me know. thanks
kaffeene 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2004 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

I'm  still wondering.. and in a state of confusion.    I'm not sure if the high/low pass crossover in the Alpine 9815 works with the pre-amp out or speaker outputs or both.   Manual doesn't say.   Even if I use another amp for the 2 front speakers.. I still need to power and divide the frequencies among the 2 tweeters, 2 mids and 2 woofers in the soundbar off of 4 channels.  The sub-woofer will be off the sub pre-amp outputs.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2004 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
The crossover should definitely work with the rca outputs and it might with the speaker outs.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2004 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  

To minimize your headaches, I'd suggest running your door speakers off the two front powered channels of the HU.  Then, using the proper passive crossovers for the 3-way sets in your sound bar, power those off the two rear channels of the HU.  Use the sub pre-out to drive your sub.

Yes, I know this HU.  It's rated at 60 watts X4 (peak) and the crossover (and EQ) settings control the signal to both the powered and the line-level outputs.

kaffeene 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2004 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

You don't think that the crossover in the headunit would be sufficiant for the 6 speakers in the soundbar? 

Also If I chose to use an external amp and crossover for the soundbar could I run both from dash speakers on the 4 channels of the H.U. if they are rated to handle the power?  What would the load be on the H.U. amp if the speakers are 4ohm?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2004 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  

The six speakers in the sound bar are two sets of three.  They are a stereo set of 3-way components.  The head unit is not designed to power a set of components.  It has high-pass crossovers that you can use to keep the low bass out of your main speakers.  For your sound bar you will need either:

A) a 3-way passive crossover for eact set of 3 speakers (woofer, mid, tweet.)  I am very surprised the speakers you have did not come with this.  Each crossover is then connected to one stereo set (2 channels) from either your head unit OR an external stereo amp.  Or:

B) a stereo 3-way electronic crossover and six-channels of amplification.  I do NOT recommend you try this if you are inexperienced setting up such systems, as it is very, very easy to overdrive your tweeters and mids and blow them.

Run your fron speakers off the front head unit speaker outputs.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic