icon

Honda Civic speaker wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nosnoggin18 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
I've got a 1991 Honda Civic HB, base model. Anyone have an idea as to what the wiring looks like for this car's door speakers and tweeters? I need to replace mine. I think the tweeters may have been aftermarket(Pioneer) The door speakers are 6-1/2" each. I found a little box in the left door that looks like it may have been meant as a central place for the wires to come from the stereo and go to the speakers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
customsound 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  

use speaker harnesses painless and dynamat that joint it will make sound way better from ur doors

customsound 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2004 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  

use speaker harnesses painless and dynamat that joint it will make sound way better from ur doors

harness can be found anywhere for about 4 bucks

Metra Tech 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
Metra part# 72-7800 and most Best Buys have these in stock. The little box you referred to is probably the door lock module. I know they put door lock modules in the 92'-95's there.
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
that little box you're talking about in all likelihood is the crossover unit for aftermarket component speakers.....you mentioned that you have tweeters, right? that same box should also be on the passenger's side too then. if the factory wiring has not been changed already, then they should be leading into the door through the door boot and have these colours:
left front(+) = blue/green
left front(-) = grey/black
right front(+) = RED / green
right front (-) = BROWN / black
good luck!
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
btw, if your civic is indeed a 91 base model hatchback, then you definitely won't have factory power door locks. Metra Tech may have overlooked that minor detail.
good luck!
nosnoggin18 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
I looked at my (aftermarket-Pioneer)speaker this afternoon, and it does say that it is a 2 piece two-way speaker, which has the woofer in the speaker cavity, and the tweeter mounted above it in the door. If I get other speakers, will they work with this sound box(I do have one on each side) in the door? Or should I bypass it and go straight? I'd like to get some 2,3,or maybe 4 way speakers from Crutchfield, and install those. Anything special I have to do? Thanks
Metra Tech 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
If you read my post I said "probably". Also, I said 92'-95' had a door lock module in the door, not 91'. I was trying to help nosnoggin18 in trying to figure out what the box is. 91' may have been the same. I can find out what that box is if needed, just not on a Sunday. It's probably irrelevant though as it probably has nothing to do with the audio system. Also, Honda does not use x-over boxes on the Civics or most Hondas that I can think of. The mid runs full range and tweeter has a built in cap permanently installed in it. I had a 95'.
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
Metra Tech, i apologize if my previous post caused you any aggravation. that was not my intent. and yes, honda does not tend to use crossover boxes.....in fact, most manufacturers do not. if there is any form of a crossover network, they tend to be inside a factory amplifier.
but to answer the question of speaker replacement for nosnoggin18....if you get another set of component speakers, whether they be 2 or 3 way separates, they will more than likely come with their own crossovers. you will probably not need to use the ones that you currently have anymore.
Metra Tech 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
I'm sorry Jimmeezgolfvr6 if I came across harsh. Forums can be so inpersonal. I just wanted to make sure Nosnogin18 got the right info. Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic