Viper 791XV Wiring Problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Puddy905 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 8:02 AM / IP Logged  

Hey Everyone,

I'm having a few little problems with my viper 791xv that I installed over the weekend on my 96 Trans Am. First, which wire from the alarm gets hooked into the - Trunk Trigger? When I open the trunk it shows door violation. lol. Second, I'm having problems with the Remote start....it goes through the motion, and the starter winds up, but doesn't engage.....it may be due to improper connection of the purple and green start module wires??? or maybe VATS problems (I have the bypass module hooked up) I'm wondering where the proper spot would be to connect these 2 wires (purplae and green) to the starter wire, and do you all recommend using the on-board starter kill. Third, and most retarded, my LED's aren't working! lol I have 2 led's hooked up to the connection, from my old alarm, and they worked fine, so I basically just soldered the new connector to those led's and hooked it up....but no worky.

If anyone has any ideas, especially with the remote start, they would be appreciated.

Thanks

Aaron Viper 791XV Wiring Problems -- posted image.

profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
trunk wire, H1/6blue(-). it doesnt say it on the 791 but it does on the 791. someone ask this ? last time.
first cut the starter wire (yellow, i think...confirm it)
the purple: goes to the starter side
green: keyside.
sounds like you havent read ur manual, its very important that youve read all ur instructions. at least skim at it for couple of times.
check out this link for VATS
btw....the led is weird, check to see if you plug in the right socket....lol
repost ur result
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
bmf1000d 
Silver - Posts: 345
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
Or the led could not bee the right MA for the brain as well.
"Big" Mike
Double Take
Fremont, Ne
remember to check all your wires with a dmm not a test light!!
i take no responsibilty whatsoever for the vailidty of the info nor consequences thereof
Puddy905 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

Ya, I'm pretty lazy that way....I knew something would go wrong when it only took me 2 hrs to install. lol. The green and purple wires are fine, I just had a "stupid moment" and made it seem harder than it is. The VATS diagram you sent me shows the vats wire being connected to the blue status wire, but that is part of the ribbon between the remote start and alarm module, so should it be hooked up to the 2nd status output wire (H3/1 Blue/White), or the factory disarm wire(H2/1)?. As of right now, I don't have the H2 harness connected at all (I will be adding window modules later, and don't need 2nd locks, or wait to start).

I looked at the other posting about the trunk but didn't get the answer. The instructions are really confusing in a couple of areas, for instance, in the main wiring instructions, H1/6 is a multiplex - trigger, and it says it can be used for an optional sensor (which I hooked a radar sensor to) and will show up as Zone 4. At the back of the instructions, in the table of zones, it says the blue H1/6 wire triggers zone 1, for the trunk. WHAT THE HELL IS IT? There is a couple of areas where the instructions contradict themselves.

Puddy905 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  

The wrong mA is a possibility for the LED, but LEd's barely draw any power, so I don't see how going from 1 to 2 would make a difference....at least it didn't with my other system. I have to check to make sure the connections are all good.....I may head out tonight and check everything over.

profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
i cant remember the wire for it but status output is just any ground wire right b/4 it start up.....nothing complicated.
heres the clifford unit but its the same
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
Puddy905 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

Man, I gotta stop with that cold medication.....I should probably throw the key in the ignition, turn it to on, and then try the remote start, that will tell me if it's the VATS or not@!! lol. I suck.

As for that other posting.....I'm still pretty sure that blue wire shows Sensor 2 on the LCD and not TRUNK. In the instructiuons it says nothing about connecting it to the trunk trigger, but does say to cennect an optional sensor to it, if wanted.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
i show the blue between the positive and negative door trigger inputs as the - trunk input..a ground to this wire when armed should display the trunk icon on the remote....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Puddy905 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  

See, this is another one of those contradictory things.....in the wiring instructions, it says the blue wire is for an optional extra sensor. In the chart diagram, it shows it as the trunk trigger. So, I'm guessing it's for the trunk, but now, where do I hook up my second sensor so that it shows which sensor is triggering on the remote?

I'm very confused, and a little annoyed. lol

brivalen 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2004 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  

you have to pay attention to which harness has that color. There is a good chance colors are reused BUT they are always on different harnesses.

You really have to read the directions and look at the scematic on the last page on the install guide.

Brian

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic